Re: Skystar HD2 (device don't stream data).

Sorry for the delay; I've been in a different OS without reliable
access to the 'net

--- On Sat, 8/23/08, Beth <beth.null@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  1315 channels_0.conf
>  1221 channels_1.conf
>  1298 channels_2.conf
>  1440 channels_3.conf
>  1271 channels_4.conf
>  1236 channels_5.conf
>  1346 channels_6.conf
>  1240 channels_7.conf
>  1270 channels_8.conf
>  1196 channels_9.conf
>
> Oopss, no one have the same number of channels. So, two problems at
> least, the missing vid&aid and the scanned channels, at least they
> aren't alone :P.

Another interesting thing is what transponders are missing from
each scan.  Well, it interests me.

  76 /tmp/scan_test/all

  63 /tmp/scan_test/channels_0.conf.cut
  65 /tmp/scan_test/channels_1.conf.cut
  62 /tmp/scan_test/channels_2.conf.cut
  68 /tmp/scan_test/channels_3.conf.cut
  62 /tmp/scan_test/channels_4.conf.cut
  63 /tmp/scan_test/channels_5.conf.cut
  66 /tmp/scan_test/channels_6.conf.cut
  65 /tmp/scan_test/channels_7.conf.cut
  65 /tmp/scan_test/channels_8.conf.cut
  64 /tmp/scan_test/channels_9.conf.cut

And none of them include, for example, the ARD 11836 transponder.

Could be a driver problem, or could be a weak signal installation.

> channel_X.err, if it would helps, as I can see so many
> warnings, and I
> can't interpret what is normal and what is not.

I thank you for that, and I tried in my last message to point out
the problems.

The only thing that might be a concern, is that the attached file
was rather large, and was probably best not sent to the mailing
list, but instead made available on a web page if you have one, or
mailed by request to anyone interested.  That way the many subscribers
to the list who cannot help, or cannot understand the logfiles, do
not have to download the entire tarball.

> It takes about 24 minutes for each scan, ¿is this normal?,

No, but...  There were a lot of transponders where you were not
able to obtain a lock.  Nearly all of these are valid frequencies.
Your `scan' decided to wait for quite some number of seconds on
each of these transponders before giving up, when it should have
been able to tune and lock and parse the data rather quickly.

Here is another question:  Can you add the following channels to
your .conf file and tune these programs?

Das Erste:11836:h:0:27500:101:102:28106
Bayerisches FS Sued:11836:h:0:27500:201:202:28107
hr-fernsehen:11836:h:0:27500:301:302:28108
Bayerisches FS Nord:11836:h:0:27500:201:202:28110
WDR Koeln:11836:h:0:27500:601:602:28111
BR-alpha*:11836:h:0:27500:701:702:28112
SWR Fernsehen BW:11836:h:0:27500:801:802:28113

You may need to add `:0' at the end, after the Service ID.

You could also try, if I remember, `dvbtune -m' with the correct
frequency, symbol-rate, etc., and compare the values you see with
that of the TV Galicia transponder, to see how Linux sees the signal
strength and error rate.

Also, can you scan, find, and watch these programs under 'Doze?

> The scan program I am using was compiled using the
> instructions found

I have done a bit more thinking, or what passes for it at this time
of day.  The way I invoke `scan' is from a script like...

/usr/bin/awk -v DVB="$DVB" '{ if ( $0 ~ /^S/ ) \
 { print DVB " #" $0 > "/tmp/ast" ; system ( " /bin/sleep 1 ; \
( /bin/echo -e -n \\\\n\ \ Scanning ; \
/usr/bin/tail -1 /tmp/ast | /bin/sed -e s,^.*#S,, ) >&2 ; \
/bin/echo -e -n \\\\n\ \ Scanning ; /usr/bin/tail -1 /tmp/ast | \
/bin/sed -e s,^.*#S,, ; ( /bin/echo -e -n Scanning ; \
/usr/bin/tail -1 /tmp/ast | /bin/sed -e s,^.*#S,, ) >&3 ; \
DVB=`/usr/bin/tail -1 /tmp/ast | /usr/bin/cut -f1 -d \\# ` ; \
/usr/bin/tail -1 /tmp/ast | /usr/bin/cut -f2 -d \\# | \
/mnt/home/beer/bin/dvbscan-NIT-dump-MPEG4video_parse \
 -s 4  $DVB   -v -5 -1 -D /dev/stdin | \
/usr/bin/sort -n -k 8 -t : ; if [ $? -ne 0 ] ; \
 then /bin/echo \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ FAILED >&3 ; fi ; /bin/echo >&2" ) } } ' \
/home/beer/Satellite-lists/scan-astra3-complete 3>&1 \
 > /home/beer/Satellite-lists/scan-result-astra3-`/bin/date +%F` \
 2> /home/beer/Satellite-lists/scan-stderr-astra3-`/bin/date +%F`

Do not try this at home.

This means that I'm invoking a new `scan' for each frequency
read from a list of frequencies -- necessary with my old `scan'
on this satellite as normally `scan' used to think that hor. and
vertical polarisations at the same frequency were not different,
and would not scan one of them.  This also means that `scan' is
not remembering old PMT data from the previous transponder, as it
only scans one (the -1 hack) and then quits, and we wait one second
before starting anew.

I'll need to try with a sleep of 10 or so; normally the card is
kept alive for five seconds after use -- perhaps that may help
with the old data I see...  Or maybe not if I've tried that already.

The `-5' option to scan really does not make any difference, as
it will only help with non-conformant data that isn't sent often
enough.  The data is in fact sent often; it's just that for some
reason the card doesn't deliver new data to `scan' all the time.

The list of transponder frequencies is also helpful for Hotbirds
where one did not get a complete list of transponders starting with
NIT tables on one frequency, or where the broadcast data was not
always right or consistent, as no central authority there provides
one authoritative NIT data to all operators.

> use are capable of dynamically
> service number (30222) --
> >>
> >> I really don't know if this is possible.
> >
> > It is; if I remember correctly, there was a message
> posted in the
> > last week or three about some utility that would do
> this.  But it
> > is not so important, as usually, at Astra 19E, the
> PIDs do not change.
> >

> I would look for it, for curiosity.

Actually, in the case of the ARD channel Bayerisches Fernsehen Nord
that I listed above, this normally uses the video and audio and TTX
PIDs of BR-Sued at 201, 202, 203, 204, and 206 for most of the day.

But for a few hours for regional programming, the Nord (Franken)
channel changes to use video PID 501, audio PID 502, no 2nd audio or
AC3, and remains at 204 for teletext.

Such a program would notice and track this change and switch
automagically.  That is, it does what `scan' does, not just once,
but all the time it's running.

This also means that if a program is in `not running' status at the
time you make a successful scan, such as EinsFestival HD at the time
you made your scans, that when it starts sending programming in a
day or two, you will not need to make a new `scan' to find the
correct PIDs.

barry bouwsma