Re: HVR-1600 - No audio

Hi Andy,

Am Sonntag, den 03.08.2008, 15:20 -0400 schrieb Andy Walls:
> On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 10:49 -0700, Brian Steele wrote:

> This one is V4L2_CID_AUDIO_MUTE, as defined in
> "include/linux/videodev2.h", being translated into "Mute".  This should
> correspond to mute of the cx18-av-core

> This one is V4L2_CID_AUDIO_LOUDNESS, as defined in
> "include/linux/videodev2.h" being translated into "Mute".  I have to
> check on why this is.  I'm getting the same thing on my system.
>
> Trying to set the "loudness" in the cx18-av-core will fail with -EINVAL.

> This corresponds to V4L2_CID_MPEG_AUDIO_MUTE.  This should mute via the
> MPEG encoder in the cx23418.
>

> > > IIRC, one mute is for the audio processing paths in the cx18-av-core,
> > > the other mute is for muting the audio in the MPEG encoder.
> >
> > Looking at the code it looks like the one named "Audio Mute" is for
> > the MPEG encoder and the one named "Mute" is for cx18-av-core.  As you
> > can see there are three mutes with different ids in my output.  This
> > seems very odd to me.
>
> It sure is.  I have to investigate how "loudness" is getting translated
> to "mute".  But in the meantime, my system at least shows the correct
> mute control is being accessed by v4l2-ctl.
>
> $ ./v4l2-ctl -d /dev/video0 --get-ctrl="mute"
>
> shows in dmesg that
>
> cx18-0: VIDIOC_QUERYCTRL id=0x0
> cx18-0: VIDIOC_QUERYCTRL error -22
> cx18-0: VIDIOC_G_CTRL id=0x980909, value=0
> cx18-0 ioctl: close() of encoder MPEG
>
> So the get ioctl is actually using the correct control id of
> V4L2_CID_AUDIO_MUTE.
>
> With
>
> $ ./v4l2-ctl -d /dev/video0 --set-ctrl="mute"=1
>
> dmesg shows
>
> cx18-0: VIDIOC_QUERYCTRL id=0x0
> cx18-0: VIDIOC_QUERYCTRL error -22
> cx18-0: VIDIOC_S_CTRL id=0x980909, value=1
> cx18-0 ioctl: close() of encoder MPEG
>
> So the set is happening on the correct control as well, and should be
> commanding the cx18-av core hardware as well.  The problem is the
> microcontroller may be working against you by automatically muting
> things in the cx18-av core  hardware until it detects an audio standard
> in the SIF.

> > > First make sure that line in audio from a portable DVD player or VCR
> > > still works.  Just to make sure that in fact tuner audio is the only
> > > problem.
> >
> > I plugged a camcorder into S-Video1 and successfully captured audio
> > when I did playback from the camcorder.  I think this confirms that
> > tuner audio is the only problem.
>
> OK.
>
> > > Then with tuner video & audio, you need to try to get the system to a
> > > state where the audio microcontroller in the cx18-av-core actually
> > > detects a sound standard in the SIF audio coming from the tuner.  Try
> > > changing channels and see if there is any channel that gives you sound -
> > > or at least shows that the microcontroller has detected a sound
> > > standard.
> > >
> > > If that doesn't work, I look into how you can manually have the MPEG
> [...]

without looking up any of your code, kick my ass if needed,
but this should be all still on some tuner 57 ?

All have been around I can think about, but it still has no tda988x
config something in tuner-types.c, and you need it for sure, maybe you
have it in the cards entry? All other will fail.

Cheers,
Hermann