Re: Hauppauge HVR-1950 digital part

On Saturday 26 July 2008 18:33:47 Michael Krufky wrote:
> Yusik Kim wrote:

> >> While I can't vouch for what the Windows driver is doing, the Linux
> >> driver (pvrusb2) for this device deliberately only lights the LED when
> >> actual streaming is being attempted.  Basically the LED becomes a "busy"
> >> indicator.  It's a feature not a bug :-)

> >> Sounds a lot like there's a significant tuning problem.  Unfortunately
> >> I'm not seeing the issue here :-(
> >>
> >>   -Mike
> >
> > Thanks Mike.
> > Nobody else seems to have the same problem. What's driving me crazy is
> > that I have 2 laptops where I can test (c2d 1.06GHz/ Pentium-M
> > 1.4GHz(backend only);both Debian testing) and both have the exact same
> > problem so it's most likely not machine specific. It works on a windows
> > partition of the c2d machine so it's not hardware related nor is it
> > because of a bad signal source.  So the only thing that stands between me
> > and all the other people who are happily using it can be narrowed down to
> > kernel options or the distro.  Are there any known kernel options/modules
> > that may interfere with the tuning?
> >
> > Another interesting thing is that in mythtv-setup, I have no option to
> > choose ATSC. Only NTSC, NTSC-JP, SECAM, etc. but no ATSC. It doesn't even
> > allow me the option to manually create an ATSC channel. The only way I
> > get an ATSC channel is through active scan (which most of the time
> > doesn't work). I can select ATSC on my desktop with a pci capture card. I
> > can't use the desktop to test it because it's USB1.1.
> >
> > It looks like a dead end for now. Thanks to everyone who tried to help.
>
> To use ATSC in mythtv, set the device up as a DVB device, not a video4linux
> device.  You set up two devices, one video4linux for the analog encoding,
> the other "DVB" for ATSC.
My device is set up as DVB (s5h1411/ATSC). In fact, I don't have the analog
tuner set up since I know it is working. What I am saying is that in
mythtv-setup -> General -> Locale Settings -> TV Format
I don't have an option to choose ATSC where my other pci tuner does give me
that option. Also when I try to manually create a new channel from the
channel editor there is no ATSC option for the "tv format" but the
pre-scanned channels do display  "ATSC". I didn't know if this was normal
behavior.

Probably no one will be interested at this point but I also noticed after
taking 5 minutes to lock to a signal, it can quickly lock to the channels
that are near by (e.g. 7_1, 7_2, 7_3) but when changing the channel to
something like 9_1, it takes another 5 minutes to lock to it.

> I also suggest that you try adding a signal amplifier and see if that helps
> the reception.
My antenna is the type that has a small built in amplifier but I'll try it out
at a friend's house with cable.

Thanks!