Re: Hauppauge HVR-1950 digital part

On Saturday 26 July 2008 13:40:36 Mike Isely wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jul 2008, Yusik Kim wrote:

> > > What steps did you take to prove your hardware is function properly, or
> > > your digital cable feed is reliable?
> > >
> > > The drivers works for me, it sounds like you have an environmental
> > > issue.
> > >
> > > - Steve
> >
> > Thank you for replying Steve.
> > I have a windows partition on the same machine and it works perfectly
> > there. So I don't think there is a problem with the cable feed or
> > hardware itself.
> >
> > Not sure if it has any relevance but I noticed in windows, the red LED
> > light in the front is always on whereas in linux, it only turns on right
> > before it tries to lock in to a channel.
>
> While I can't vouch for what the Windows driver is doing, the Linux
> driver (pvrusb2) for this device deliberately only lights the LED when
> actual streaming is being attempted.  Basically the LED becomes a "busy"
> indicator.  It's a feature not a bug :-)
>
> > I should add that the 3 channels that were successfully scaned do not
> > always get picked up in subsequent attempts. It seems like it has trouble
> > tuning. At least it's good to know it's a problem on my end. Just have to
> > find a way to fix it.
>
> Sounds a lot like there's a significant tuning problem.  Unfortunately
> I'm not seeing the issue here :-(
>
>   -Mike

Thanks Mike.
Nobody else seems to have the same problem. What's driving me crazy is that I
have 2 laptops where I can test (c2d 1.06GHz/ Pentium-M 1.4GHz(backend
only);both Debian testing) and both have the exact same problem so it's most
likely not machine specific. It works on a windows partition of the c2d
machine so it's not hardware related nor is it because of a bad signal
source.  So the only thing that stands between me and all the other people
who are happily using it can be narrowed down to kernel options or the
distro.  Are there any known kernel options/modules that may interfere with
the tuning?

Another interesting thing is that in mythtv-setup, I have no option to choose
ATSC. Only NTSC, NTSC-JP, SECAM, etc. but no ATSC. It doesn't even allow me
the option to manually create an ATSC channel. The only way I get an ATSC
channel is through active scan (which most of the time doesn't work). I can
select ATSC on my desktop with a pci capture card. I can't use the desktop to
test it because it's USB1.1.

It looks like a dead end for now. Thanks to everyone who tried to help.