Re: cx18 or tveeprom - Missing dependency?

Brandon Jenkins wrote:

> On Jun 17, 2008, at 10:52 AM, mkrufky@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> Brandon Jenkins wrote:
>> Brandon,
>>
>> VIDEO_CX18 selects VIDEO_TUNER , but you chose the option,
>> "MEDIA_TUNER_CUSTOMIZE" , which turns off the automatic tuner dependency
>> selections.  Please note the description of this option:
>>
>> menuconfig MEDIA_TUNER_CUSTOMIZE
>>        bool "Customize analog and hybrid tuner modules to build"
>>        depends on MEDIA_TUNER
>>        help
>>          This allows the user to deselect tuner drivers unnecessary
>>          for their hardware from the build. Use this option with care
>>          as deselecting tuner drivers which are in fact necessary will
>>          result in V4L/DVB devices which cannot be tuned due to lack of
>>          driver support
>>
>>          If unsure say N.
>>

>> We allow users to disable certain modules if they think they know
>> better, and choose to compile out drivers that they don't need.  You
>> should not have disabled tuner-simple -- to play it safe, don't enable
>> MEDIA_TUNER_CUSTOMIZE
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Mike
>>

> Mike,
>
> Thank you. I understand the impact my choice makes in that matter.
> However, all of the other modules required for cx18 to function are
> marked in the lists as -M- indicating it is a required module/module
> dependency. I apologize for my ignorance of terminology, etc., but it
> would seem to me that "Simple tuner support" should automatically have
> the -M- as a required resource for the tuner to function correctly.
>
> Thank you for your time in responding.
>
> Brandon
No -- You are misunderstanding -- The selection of the tuner.ko i2c
client module is forced as -M- , since it is selected as a dependency.
You then proceeded into a deeper layer of customization, and enabled
"MEDIA_TUNER_CUSTOMIZE" -- this option allows you to disable tuner
modules that should have otherwise been autoselected for your hardware.
I repeat -- this is an advanced customization option, and you have been
so warned by its Kconfig description.

I am pushing up a patch now that disables MEDIA_TUNER_CUSTOMIZE by default.

-Mike