Re: Problem with latest v4l-dvb hg

Hi!

Am Sonntag, den 08.06.2008, 07:38 -0300 schrieb Mauro Carvalho Chehab:
> On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 03:00:03 +0200
> hermann pitton <hermann-pitton@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > <snip>
> > >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Something very strange:
> > > If in saa7134-dvb.c I do this:
> > >
> > > <snip>
> > > static int configure_tda827x_fe_kw210(struct saa7134_dev *dev,
> > >                 struct tda1004x_config *cdec_conf,
> > >                 struct tda827x_config *tuner_conf)
> > > {
> > >     dev->dvb.frontend = dvb_attach(tda10046_attach, cdec_conf,
> > > &dev->i2c_adap);
> > >     if (dev->dvb.frontend) {
> > > /*        if (cdec_conf->i2c_gate)
> > >             dev->dvb.frontend->ops.i2c_gate_ctrl = tda8290_i2c_gate_ctrl; */
> > >         if (dvb_attach(tda827x_attach, dev->dvb.frontend,
> > >                    cdec_conf->tuner_address,
> > >                    &dev->i2c_adap, tuner_conf))
> > >             return 0;
> > >
> > >         wprintk("no tda827x tuner found at addr: %02x\n",
> > >                 cdec_conf->tuner_address);
> > >     }
> > >     return -EINVAL;
> > > }
> > > <snip>
> > >     case SAA7134_BOARD_KWORLD_DVBT_210:
> > > /*        if (configure_tda827x_fe(dev, &kworld_dvb_t_210_config, */
> > >         if (configure_tda827x_fe_kw210(dev, &kworld_dvb_t_210_config,
> > >                      &tda827x_cfg_2) < 0)
> > >             goto dettach_frontend;
> > >         break;
> > > <snip>
> > > then I can scan all available DVB-T channels, and view them.
> > > If I leave it as original, it won't scan/view SBS.
> > >
> > > Can someone tell me what part does this play?
> > >
> > >         if (cdec_conf->i2c_gate)
> > >             dev->dvb.frontend->ops.i2c_gate_ctrl = tda8290_i2c_gate_ctrl;
> >
> > Tim,
> >
> > without looking in any detail, choosed to have enough for myself.
> >
> > Almost all, but not all, use the tda8290 analog IF demodulator within
> > the saa7131e, on prior saa7135 stuff also present as a sepatate chip,
> > as an i2c bridge to control the tuner, also if in DVB-T mode ...
> >
> > To deminish interference on the bus, it is only opened to send the
> > tuning bytes and then closed again.
> >
> > IIRC, on your card are two tda8275a, which could serve as hybrid tuners,
> > but on that early design it was choosen to burn some money in favor to
> > have a first analog and DVB-T at once solution.
> >
> > Since you have two tuners, you are not depending on the DVB-T gate stuff
> > for DVB-T, which is a point for swichting issues from analog to DVB else
> > on single hybrid tuners. To have a digital tuner controlled from the
> > analog IF demod some still don't get and cause a lot of trouble.
>
> There's another possibility. It might be possible that Viro's patches broke
> firmware load. Did firmware load worked before (with the same version you're using)?
>
> Cheers,
> Mauro

Hm, Tim reported problems on firmware loading already back in March,
which might indicate the card is not fully configured.

Also, what I did read once, minimum firmware revision should be 26.
Previous stuff had issues with missing channels. People did obtain
revision 29 from Lifeview with the firmware script in Documentation/dvb.

In all cases firmware loading is attempted from eeprom at first, only if
that fails loading from file/host will happen.

Barry Scott initially used simply card=81, Tiger reference, and he
reported two eeproms on the card. There is a Kworld 210SE with only one
eeprom now too. Tim, do you have two atmel eeproms? (8 pin)

This was Barry's chip listing. Do we have two different boards?

SAA7131
TDA10046A
8275AC1
HC4052
ATMEL546
KS007
ATMEL632

According Tim's own testing gpio_config = TDA10046_GP11_I should be
correct for the digtal/analog AGC switch.

I definitely should have read better last night and not confuse the
Kworld 220 dual tuner with the Kworld 210 single hybrid tda8275ac1, but
however Tim reported constantly better tuning without the tda8290 i2c
gate control, so the i2c connection through the tda10046 to the tuner
must be open I would assume. Hartmut is much deeper in that stuff.

Reviewing the later patch,
http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb/rev/aa38365e44dd

we also miss tuner_config = 2 for the analog entry. LNA for DVB-T in
config 2 is enabled.
I wonder, people with that LNA config missing reported flashing picture
and humming noise with analog and nothing like that was ever said.

Tim, goes the RF input from the antenna connector through a 3 or 4 pin
little chip looking similar like an voltage regulator before it reaches
pin2 of the tda8275ac1?

Mauro, all my cards have firmware eeproms.

Until now I did not notice any issues and due to recent thunderstorms
machines were powered off some times. Also faked the Kworld 210 on the
Asus P7131 Dual now, which you have too, and DVB-T and analog TV is on
the lower connector without issues.

Cheers,
Hermann