Re: Providers in Brazil

On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 13:28:52 +0200
"Morgan Tørvolt" <morgan.torvolt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >  There are lots of DVB-S channels, most of them are free to the air. A good
> > place for you to take a look is Lyngsat [1]. There's also a Brazilian site
> > that have updated channel listings [2]. The last one is in Portuguese.
> >
> >  [1] http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/Brazil.html
> >  [2] http://www.brasilsatdigital.com.br/satelites/index.htm
> >
> >  Cheers,
> >  Mauro
>
> Thanks. I had not seen that last page you sent.
>
> The question remaining is which of these pay-TV providers that use
> encryption and CAMs that work with linux.

AFAIK, there are only two providers that offers packages to the end users: Direct
TV/Sky and Tecsat. I'm not 100% sure, but suspect that Direct TV/Sky is using
DSS. DSS is currently not supported on Linux. I'm not sure what Tecsat uses.

There are other channels that are encrypted, like TV Globo. I'm not sure what's
their business model, and if they sell content to the end users.

In thesis, Linux CAM could decrypt those channels, if you have the keycard and
a CAM module.

> Also, which one of these would be recommended for an english speaking crowd?

There are some satellite beams that receives channels from North America and
Europe. This will depend on what position you'll point your sat antenna.

For example, if you point your antenna to Galaxy28 [1], you could receive lots of
contents in English and Spanish, encrypted with Ireto 2 (see freq 11800H),
pointed to South America. To decrypt, you will need a CAM module, and a valid
Ireto 2 key from the content provider [2].

[1] http://www.lyngsat.com/galaxy28.html
[2] actually, I never tried to receive a non-FTA channel. So, I'm not sure what
crypto standards will work properly. There are some wiki's at linuxtv.org about
CAM that can be helpful to you.

Cheers,
Mauro