Warning regarding Ubuntu 8.04, mplayer, and some dvb drivers

Just an FYI in case people run into mplayer problems with Ubuntu 8.04
(I don't know what other drivers this affects, but I would assume just
about all of them)

I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.04 this week to test the V4L HVR-950 driver and
ran into a problem where mplayer would work the first time but then
subsequent attempts to connect to /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 would always
be return EBUSY.  After spending the morning littering the driver with
debug code trying to locate what I thought was a bug in the
referencing counting, it occurred to me to just run fuser against the
device file.

root@devin-desktop:~# fuser -v /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0
                    USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
/dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0:
                    root       6455 f.... mplayer
                    root       6459 f.... dbus-launch
                    root       6460 f.... dbus-daemon

Looks like they integrated mplayer with dbus, but they don't close the
file handles on fork() so dbus inherits the file indefinitely (since
it doesn't close when mplayer closes).

I then put "ubuntu dbus" into my search and it turns up I'm about a
week behind Markus Rechberger because he appears to have already found
the issue:

http://www.mail-archive.com/em28xx@xxxxxxxxxxx/msg01097.html

And he has already submitted a fix to Ubuntu:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dbus/+bug/230877

Just a heads up in case anybody runs into the same problem with other devices...

--
Devin J. Heitmueller
http://www.devinheitmueller.com