Re: HVR-3000

> The problem.
> The tv is very slow to update and impossible to watch. I would like to
> know if this is a driver/software issue or
> a hardware issue. During TV playback the processor maxs out at 100%
>
> 1. Am i right in assuming that the output from the HVR-3000 (DVB-T) is
> an MPEG stream, and as such needs very little CPU resources?
> 2. Am i right in assuming that with the Hardware MPEG decoding ability
> of the Via C7, very little CPU resources are needed for playback?
> 3. What tools are available for me to get a measure of signal strength
> and quality of broadcast, which i believe may be the issue (although
> dedicated Set Top boxes seem to work fine)?
> 4. Please share any other comments that may be useful to the setup.
>
> Cheers
> Gary

I run a via SP13000 to watch DVB-T in the UK. But you have to use
accelerated playback to get a decent system running rather than relying on
the CPU. For this to work you will need the openchrome packages installed
(note Fedora 9 this should work out of the box):

http://wiki.openchrome.org/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=Collection+of+contributed+binary+packages

For playback I then use the standard xine rpm from the livna repository,
then I use that to "play" a DVB channel using the following:

/usr/bin/xine -V xxmc dvb://BBC ONE

The key here is using -V xxmc to enable the hardware accelerated playback,
there are similar options to mplayer to achieve the same effect.

(note in reality I don't do anything on the command line, I just use
Freevo with the appropriate setup: http://freevo.sourceforge.net/)

>From my experience you MUST get the accelerated playback via XvMC working
to stand a chance of playing mpeg content on a small via system. And you
won't get anything working for h.264 high-def content. Your 100% cpu usage
indicates that the lack of acceleration support is the problem.