Re: NSLU2 dma_free_coherent issue with DIB0700 driver (and probably others)

Hello,
I put Lee in CC.

Thomas Reitmayr a écrit :
> Hi Lee,
> I was browsing the mailing-list archive and found your email about the
> issue with DIB0700-based devices on an NSLU2. I myself use a Terratec
> Cinergy DT XS Diversity which I think had the same issue as you
> described it. I found that the cause was the rather big DMA buffer of
> 39480 bytes as specified in dib0700_devices.c.
> Looking at the kernel's arch/arm/mach-ixp4xx/common-pci.c there is a top
> limit of 4096 bytes for a DMA buffer set by the function call
>    dmabounce_register_dev(dev, 2048, 4096);
>
> My recipe (for SlugOS) below changes the big buffer to a smaller one and
> also increases the number of buffers (not sure if the latter is really
> needed). Now the module is working just fine, even recording on both
> adapters gives a CPU usage of just ~25%. So the smaller buffer size does
> not seem to hurt at all. Not sure why it is needed in the first place.

Well, I experienced the same issue with the Terratec Cinergy Hybrid XS.
See the problem on the em28xx ML:
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-usb-devel/msg09511.html
This problem can occur generally on USB devices on the ixp4xx arch.
I tried to patch the linux kernel for the dma part of ixp4xx:
http://www.spinics.net/lists/arm-kernel/msg43509.html
With this patch the driver was able to tune channels instead of the famous BUG message.
But I could not stream video unfortunately.
So this patch did not have any following although I expected someone to propose something better.
Your solution is to decrease the buffer size and I suspect other USB drivers made a similar correction.

> Bye,
> -Thomas

Cheers,
Thierry