Re: NSLU2 dma_free_coherent issue with DIB0700 driver (and probably others)

Hi Lee,
I was browsing the mailing-list archive and found your email about the
issue with DIB0700-based devices on an NSLU2. I myself use a Terratec
Cinergy DT XS Diversity which I think had the same issue as you
described it. I found that the cause was the rather big DMA buffer of
39480 bytes as specified in dib0700_devices.c.
Looking at the kernel's arch/arm/mach-ixp4xx/common-pci.c there is a top
limit of 4096 bytes for a DMA buffer set by the function call
   dmabounce_register_dev(dev, 2048, 4096);

My recipe (for SlugOS) below changes the big buffer to a smaller one and
also increases the number of buffers (not sure if the latter is really
needed). Now the module is working just fine, even recording on both
adapters gives a CPU usage of just ~25%. So the smaller buffer size does
not seem to hurt at all. Not sure why it is needed in the first place.

Bye,
-Thomas

PS: My recipe "v4l-dvb_0776e4801991.bb"

========= CUT ==========

DESCRIPTION = "v4l-dvb modules"
#SECTION = ""
PRIORITY = "optional"
HOMEPAGE = "http://linuxtv.org/";
LICENSE = "GPL"
DEPENDS = "virtual/kernel"
PR = "r0"

SRC_URI = "http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb/archive/${PV}.tar.bz2";

S = "${WORKDIR}/${PN}-${PV}"

inherit module

MAKE_TARGETS = "DIR=${STAGING_KERNEL_DIR}"

do_configure() {
	# fix make target
	cd "${S}"
	sed -i 's%^install:%install modules_install:%' Makefile

	# reduce buffer size (ixp4xx can handle only <= 4096
	# (see arch/arm/mach-ixp4xx/common-pci.c)
	cd "${S}/linux/drivers/media/dvb/dvb-usb"
	sed -i 's%buffersize = 39480%buffersize = 4096%' dib0700_devices.c
	sed -i 's%\.count = 4,%.count = 7,%' dib0700_devices.c

	# do not strip here
	cd "${S}/v4l/scripts"
	sed -i 's%@strip %@#strip %' make_makefile.pl
}