[ANNOUNCE] Videobuf improvements to allow its usage with USB drivers

Videobuf Improvements for USB Devices
=====================================

Videobuf history
================

If you are familiar with V4L and kernel development, you probably know that one
of the hardest part of the driver is to control the video stream that arrives
from the device, and need to be sent to an userspace application.

To address this task, a kernel module, called videobuf, is widely used for
quite a long time at the PCI devices.

However, previously, this driver were restricted to DMA devices. Specifically,
it used to work only with PCI devices whose steams are provided via DMA, and
for chipsets that supports scatter/gather mode.

On scatter/gatter DMA mode, the data I/O is splitted into several small buffers.
This worked fine for bttv, saa7134 and cx88 devices, whose PCI bridge is
capable of handling such transfers.

However, due to their specific hardware restrictions, videobuf couldn't be used
by USB devices. Due to that, each V4L USB driver had to implement their own
buffering schema.

I've started some time ago a project to make videobuf more generic. In order to
to that, videobuf were splitted into two files:

	- videobuf-core - with core features, not specific to DMA or PCI;
	- videobuf-dma-sg - for PCI DMA scatter/gather devices.

After that, I've created another videobuf instance, called videobuf-vmalloc.

This one uses memory alloced with vmalloc_user(). This is the same approach used
by other USB drivers. The first test for the newer core driver were to port the
virtual video driver (vivi) to work with it.

The videobuf split revealed several bad locks inside the driver.

Several developers helped to solve those issues, including: Brandon Philips,
Nick Piggin, Jonathan Corbet, Trent Piepho,  Adrian Bunk and Andrew Morton.

Also, Guennadi Liakhovetski removed PCI specific details, on videobuf-dma-sg.
Now, the same driver can also be used by other architectures that don't provide
PCI interfaces, like ARM.

videobuf for USB devices
========================

The last round for the code improvement just happened this week: the conversion
of em28xx to use videobuf.

This round happened thanks to the help of Aidan Thornton, that got a proposed
patch I send him, and help me to fix and address several issues on this complex
task.

So, the first USB driver that is working perfectly is available for testing at:
	http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mchehab/em28xx-vb

This driver were tested with several widely used userspace apps: tvtime,
mplayer, xawtv and mythtv. It were also tested with the testing tool
v4l2-apps/test/code_example, available inside the tree.

I'll port the changesets soon to the master development trees.

The new approach has several advantages over the old one:
	- buffering code inside em28xx-video is now clean and easy to
understand;

	- the same buffering code can be easily ported to other USB drivers;

	- by using the same videobuf code, all drivers will have the same
behaviour. This will help userspace apps to be more independent of specific
devices;

	- the performance of the newer code is much more optimized than the
previous code;

	- redundant streaming handling code is now inside V4L core;

	- It is now easy to add overlay and userptr support for those drivers;

	- It is now easy to use videobuf-dvb for USB devices also.

Things yet to be done
=====================

1) videobuf operating memory modes:

The old videobuf and the newvideobuf-dma-sg supports all streaming modes
present at V4L1 and V4L2 API:
	VIDIOCMBUF;
	reading /dev/video?;
	kernel mmapped memory;
	userspace mmapped memory;
	overlay mode, to send video input streams directly into video adapter memory.

The new videobuf-vmalloc shares the same core stuff. However, it currently
doesn't implement userspace mmapped memory or overlay mode. The other three
modes are already supported.

It doesn't seem to be hard to add the missing modes. Probably, the only
function that will need more code is videobuf_iolock(). I've already started to
code a patch to add userspace mmap. This may be useful to allow some userspace
apps that relies on this method to work.

2) videobuf-dvb

This driver allows using the same videobuf handling also for DVB devices. This
driver works fine with videobuf-dma-sg. Theoretically, it should work fine also
with USB drivers.

3) tm6000

This is the first driver I've made to use videobuf. Unfortunately, the driver
is loosing URB frames. I suspect that it is a hardware problem. I expect to
finish this driver soon, since there are several new TV devices using this
chipset.

4) porting other usb drivers to use videobuf

This will help to cleanup their source code, and fix some API non-compliance.

5) videobuf for non scatter/gather DMA

There are a few devices in the market that supports only contiguous DMA
transfer. This is the case, for example of Marvel cafe chips, used on OLPC.

For those devices, it would be interesting to create a new videobuf module, and
migrate them to this solution.

I'd like to thank all of you that helped with this development, and to the
improvement of the Linux kernel support for video input devices.

APPENDIX: Performance tests of the both versions of em28xx driver

This is the performance tests I did, running code_example to get 1,000 frames
@29.995 Hz (about 35 seconds of stream), tested on a i386 machine, running at
1,5GHz:

	The old driver:

$ time -f "%E: %Us User time, %Ss Kernel time, %P CPU used" ./capture_example
0:34.21: 8.22s User time, 25.16s Kernel time, 97% CPU used

	The videobuf-based driver:

$ time -f "%E: %Us User time, %Ss Kernel time, %P CPU used" ./capture_example
0:35.36: 0.01s User time, 0.05s Kernel time, 0% CPU used

	Conclusion:

The time consumption to receive the stream where reduced from about 33.38
seconds to 0.05 seconds.