Re: Hauppauge WinTV-CI Spec

Derk Dukker wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering if there is any progress going on at the Hauppauge WinTV
> CI usb. I heard that a guy named Luc is currently working on it. Luc do
> you have any information about your progress or do you have a site where
> I/we can track back the progress? I also noticed that the design of the
> Hauppauge WinTV CI usb is quite the same as the Terratec Cinergy CI usb
> which I bought. SmarDTV is the vendor of it (I opened the case and on
> the print board stood SmarDTV). You can get the specification from the
> website (see also earlier emails).
> I think both the devices are the same, so when one driver is created it
> will probably also works on the terratec cinergy ci. I don't know if the
> specification from smarDTV is enough...
> I have had contact with the dutch terratec support and asked them if
> they can get me the specification to create a linux driver. He said that
> he would check it out if it is possible for me to have the
> specification, as soon as he knows more he will update me. But that
> email responds was 1 or 2 weeks ago. I will email him again. As soon as
> I got something I will post it here.

I looked at the published spec and I it looks like it's for a newer
device yet to hit the market. Trying to read it word for word will
largely miss-represent what the WinTVCI device is, or its feature set.
(Although I was at one point convinced this document was a super-set of
the WinTVCI device).

I also looked at the USB traffic on the current Hauppauge driver, with a
cam inserted and decryption happening. The protocol appears pretty simple.

I don't like their URB handling and their constant polling of the device
regardless of whether it's being used or not, but that's likely an ugly
feature of the windows implementation. I suspect a Linux driver could be
written to do whatever it likes (mostly).

- Steve