Re: Hauppauge WinTV-CI Spec

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 7:25 PM, Steven Toth <stoth@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Recap: I said I'd notify the list when the spec was released for the
>  Hauppauge CI device.
>
>  Hello!
>
>  http://www.smardtv.com/index.php?page=dvbci&rubrique=specification
>
>  Looks like SmartDTV have finally got something out of the door. Put your
>  email address in their database and they'll email you the PDF with full
>  command interface describing the protocol.
>
>  Regards,
>
>  - Steve

Hi,

I'm not sure how that's relevant. It seems to be the spec for
something called CI+, intended to prevent unauthorised systems from
getting access to the decrypted stream coming out the CAM and ensure
only authorised host devices can use CAMs. I expect open source
software will be able to make use of this stuff approximately when
hell freezes over. If this catches on, say hello to more copy
protection and bye-bye to being able to use CAMs under Linux!

Aidan