Re: Recommendations for a DVB-T card for 2.6.24

On Thursday 27 March 2008 12:56:41 Eamonn Sullivan wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 10:26 AM, Andy Carter <dvb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thursday 27 March 2008 10:14:07 Eamonn Sullivan wrote:
> >  > A standard, meaning an earlier version (not the 500)?
> >
> >  Yup, like the 909 on this page
> >
> >  http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/pages/products/prods_digital-t.html
> >
> >  These are standard PCI not the PCI/usb used by Nova T500 and similar
>
> I think the issue with this one, if I understand the reviews
> correctly, is that it lacks any on-board amplifier. Given that the
> Nova-T 500 is already receiving a much weaker signal than I get with a
> standard freeview box (is that a driver issue?), I think this could be
> a problem.

That's certainly true with my old setup with a 4 year old PCI card which
required an aerial amp to function at all well - albeit on a standard antenna
and standard coax drop lead.

The Nova T500 does provide much better reception here, amp turned down
considerably and noticeably less glitches and artefacts.

> I'm getting the impression that there aren't a whole lot of choices
> out there for DVB-T. I suppose I could also just use an older version
> of the Linux kernel, but unlike others here, the Nova-T 500 wasn't
> working very reliably for me under Ubuntu 7.10 either. It worked for
> maybe a day. I had a cron task to reboot the machine in the middle of
> the night, which was an ugly hack around that problem, and at least it
> would record most programs. But the remote wouldn't last longer than a
> few hours...

Not ideal :(

Incidentally if Phil Pemberton is reading this, my stable system is using an
Intel usb chipset.

Andy