Re: TDA10086 fails? DiSEqC bad? TT S-1401 Horizontal transponder fails

Matthias Schwarzott wrote:
> On Freitag, 21. März 2008, Manu Abraham wrote:
>> Matthias Schwarzott wrote:

>>> I meant not doing auto SR for demod, but just setting tuner to maximum BW
>>> and programming demod as usual (with setting SR). And then read offset
>>> freq. from demod (that is basically the full foffset).
>> I followed you,
>>
>> You wanted to do:
>>
>> 1*) Set Tuner to max avail BW (BW directly proportional to SR and RO,
>> nothing to do with frequency)
>>
>> 2*) You ask the tuner to tune to a frequency
>>
>> 3*) Request the demodulator to acquire at the Nyquist rate (SR involved)
>>
>> 4*) After acquisition and the transform applied internally by the demod,
>> you get a frequency offset
>>

>> with the slight change to (1*) Auto SR devices and normal devices, just
>> do the same thing altogether.
>>
>>> So we can calc the real needed bandwidth filter to get the signal through
>>> or even retune to get the signal more near to zero-IF.
>>> Maybe this even require a thread to follow drift.
>> With what math will you calculate BW from Carrier frequency ? AFAIK,
>> Bandwidth implies Symbols per Second or Symbol Rate and is independant
>> of frequency.
>>
>> BW also known as Symbol Frequency according to Shannons Channel capacity
>> theorem as in:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon-Hartley_theorem
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_capacity
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_rate
>>
> Ack, BW does not depend on frequency.
>
> I just mean this:
>
> Having a signal with BW=20MHz at some frequency. Then tuning to this frequency
> and setting tuner BW to 20MHz will let the signal pass fine.
> Same for setting BW to maximum (around 35MHz).
>
> BUT: If LNB or other components drifted away by 5MHz the signal will be cut
> off. Same yelds for larger steps of the tuner so tuned frequency != center
> frequency of signal.
> So you need to either tune to another frequency if possible - or enlarge BW of
> tuner by freq. offset (here: 5MHz).
>

> As tuning algo, we also can just start at maximum BW setting and decrease it
> until we reach signal BW + offset between signal center and tuned frequency.
> Being too narrow here requires tracking offset changes to not loose lock.
>
> Or a lot simpler: Just add a margin of maybe 5MHz to BW.

I guess this is what you mean:

>> 1*) Set Tuner to max avail BW (BW directly proportional to SR and RO,
>> nothing to do with frequency)
>>
>> 2*) You ask the tuner to tune to a frequency
>>
>> 3*) Request the demodulator to acquire at the Nyquist rate (SR involved)
>>
>> 4*) After acquisition and the transform applied internally by the demod,
>> you get a frequency offset

instead of 2*) you have an offsetted center freq (fc). In this case,
what happens is that, your tuner is not at the center and in fact will
waste bandwidth.

In such a circumstance, you want to compensate for this in 1*) by
choosing an excess bandwidth.

This will help, to acquire a LOCK. Things do look well.Now, we have a
larger problem at hand.

The whole point of about bandwidth limiting is to avoid excess
bandwidth, since that excess bandwidth is not really accounted for.

The demodulator might not be able to "walk through" the excess bandwidth.

In such cases, you will just see this as a higher BER (when locked) or
taking a longer time for a "demod LOCK" to acquire. Or even worser, for
the steps which are at the end of the spectrum, and supposing that there
exists a narrow channel adjacent to this slot, Your demod will have a
tendency to LOCK to the adjacent slot or to your required slot, over
which you will have little control over.

This is a problem that people regularly come up with, with most of our
drivers. It's a hard to sort out problem.

The proper solution for this problem, would be to apply the deviation to
center freq. to 2*) rather than (increasing bandwidth) to 1*). While
holding BW the same. (Bandwidth remains the same, it is that which your
frequency is offsetted. Move the center frequency around, rather than
increasing the BW to compensate for the freq. offset)

NOTE: With swzigzag in dvb_frontend, it assumes 1*) and 2*) are the
same. ie drift is added directly to the frequency offset. Also, when you
fix this bug, many frontends will be broken and will not tune. Applies
only to satellite delivery, AFAICT.

Regards,
Manu