Re: TDA10086 fails? DiSEqC bad? TT S-1401 Horizontal transponder fails

On Freitag, 21. März 2008, Manu Abraham wrote:
> Hi Mathias,
>
> Matthias Schwarzott wrote:
> > Zarlink zl1003x datasheet (avail on net) tells this:
> > fbw = (alpha * symbol rate) / (2.0 * 0.8) + foffset
> >
> > where alpha is roll-off 1.35 for dvb-s and 1.20 for DSS
> >
> > The manual suggests to use highest possible bandwidth for aquiring a
> > lock. And after that read back the offset from the demod and adjust the
> > tuner then.
>
> There are some small differences between some of the demodulators. Most
> of the Intel DVB-S demods have a striking feature, which are found in
> few other demods only. This was seen on the Zarlink and Microtune
> devices, from where it originated from.
>
> Other vendors also have implementations similar to this such as Fujitsu
> and the newer devices from STM. This involves more complexity within the
> demodulator core.
>
> They are capable of doing Auto SR. ie, you request the maximum possible,
> the demod gives you a SR offset and you can re-adjust the BW filter on
> the tuner.
>
> This feature is also more popularly known as "Blindscan", where you need
> to just know the frequency of the signal only. This is the basic feature
> upon which Blindscan is built upon. Most demods can accomodate a SR
> tolerance of around +/-5% only, greater than which they will fail to
> acquire. Since the sampling frequency aka Nyquist sampling rate depends
> directly on the Symbol rate (SR) in which case you need to know the
> Symbol Rate, which is used to set up the tuner BW filter too.

I meant not doing auto SR for demod, but just setting tuner to maximum BW and
programming demod as usual (with setting SR). And then read offset freq. from
demod (that is basically the full foffset).
So we can calc the real needed bandwidth filter to get the signal through or
even retune to get the signal more near to zero-IF.
Maybe this even require a thread to follow drift.

> In this regard, you cannot apply the logic that's available for a Auto
> SR capable demodulator to a standard demodulator.

Does only auto SR capable demods offer reading freq. offset back?

Regards,
Matthias

--
Matthias Schwarzott (zzam)