Re: Software support for the "Technotrend TT-Budget S-1500"

Hi Michael,

On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 16:12 -0700, Michael Finch wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have noticed that there is significant support for the "Technotrend
> TT-budget S1500" PCI card, which I am excited to see.
> I have also noticed that there is very little support for the
> "Technotrend TT-budget S1401" card.
>
> I am curious if the reason for the lack of support for the S-1401 card
> is simply because nobody has gotten around to developing LINUX support
> for it or if there is a good reason to go with the S-1500 card
> instead.
>
> I have a client with a new project that requires using one of these
> cards (or something similar). Is the S-1500 a better choice?

A driver for the S-1401 was written about 12-18 months ago.  I haven't
tried it for some time, and I'm not sure of the exact status - there
were a few discussions last year on the mailing list to do with tweaks
to the signal strength, etc. - but last time I did use it it was very
stable and did what I wanted it to do.

If you search the archives for S-1401 or TDA10086 (the tuner chip), you
should find out plenty of information.

We chose the card primarily because it was low-profile, but I think it
is a fair bit cheaper than the 1500.  The project ended up using Windows
rather than Linux, but as far as I know, the cards themselves have been
very reliable.

Cheers,
Chris
--