Re: HVR-4000

Steve,

Is there anything that can be done now to progress the dev of this driver and the facilities of this card? I remember clearly the disagreements that occured, and it was hugely depressing. What would be needed now to encorage development?

Ian

On 15/01/2008, Steven Toth <stoth@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hans Werner wrote:
> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>> Datum: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 16:18:11 +0300
>> Von: Igor <goga777@xxxxx>
>> An: linux-dvb@xxxxxxxxxxx
>> Betreff: Re: HVR-4000
>
>>> b)explain how and when all the pieces of DVB-S2-relevant code will be
>> merged into the kernel and dvb-apps.
>>
>> ahh, I think nobody knows the answer on this question.
>>
>> Igor
>>

> I have read the previous correspondence on this issue. There is considerable working code so I would like to hear from the
> maintainer(s) where we go from here. It's 2008 already.

You might want to cc the maintainer if you expect a response. :)

The driver was written during 2006 and for various technical reasons
could not be fully merged into the kernel. This lead to a major conflict
between kernel developers. As a result of a major disagreement I took
down my development trees and instructed Mauro not to merge my code with
my agreement.

A few trusted members of the community have taken the previously public
tree and patched it and made it available for download, which is well
within the license agreement.

The HVR4000 driver isn't going anywhere soon, it isn't going to be
official merged anytime soon. I made myself clear a few months ago
during the heated multiproto debate.

That's where we stand today.

- Steve