[Proposal] Regarding the mailing lists

As many of you know, I'm working towards a merger of the two subsystem's
wiki's, as it just seems to be a logical step in regards to
informational purposes.

But, for a good while now, there has been something else that has struck
me as being another very logical step towards providing general
improvement around here.  Specifically, after having seen an increased
frequency of "dvb-related" posts on the v4l list, and vice versa, as
well as the large number of such mis-postings commonly entertained  on
the two #irc channels, it has spurred me into thinking/believing that a
change on both of these fronts is required.  Here is what I suggest:

- merge/consolidate  the  and [video4linux-list]  into one
"[LinuxTV-users]" list

- that a separate, but totally open and transparent, "[LinuxTV-devel]"
list be created for the express purpose of housing v4l and dvb subsystem
development discussions ... Now some might say "keep the subsystem's
discussions separate!", which is fine - i.e. we could simply create, for
example, "[LinuxTV-v4l- devel]" and "[LinuxTV-dvb-devel]" ... although,
in my assessment, given that there is a low amount of traffic in these
regards (i.e. actual development discussion, as opposed to end user
problems and troubleshooting),  I'm not sure that the creation of
separate "devel" lists is necessarily warranted ...discussions placed on
a single "[LinuxTV-devel]" list could easily be made to distinguish the
topic coverage by simply using a "v4l:" or" dvb:" prefix in the subject
header.  But again, if distinct development discussion lists are deemed
more desirable (for whatever bona fide argument)  then that is perfectly
acceptable.

- the maintainer list .. well, it can either stay as is, or perhaps it
might be logical to wind it up and move its operations into the unified
devel list (or separate devel lists if that is deemed more desirable)
... there may be perfectly good reasons (that I'm unaware of or
overlooking)  for keeping it as is, so its not particularly important
... but in the context of creating a "[LinuxTV-devel]" list, it seems
that having a separate maintainer list just for patch and pull requests
would be kind of redundant and better served on the "devel" list as well

One factor that perhaps adds some weight to this argument/proposal is
the diminishing importance that analogue TV related issues are going to
hold over time ( as more and more countries switch to digital
transmission systems).  Of course, the light won't go out for analogue
TV for a number of years to come, but I think that users familiar to the
lists will have already noticed the trend towards dvb related topics on
the v4l list.

Some of the other "pro" arguments to back this proposal are as follows:

- ease and convenience for the end user (i.e one list, and not two
separate lists) ... quite frankly, the typical end user does not
understand or make the distinction that v4l is an analogue related
subsystem -- its all video for linux for them -- both dvb or analogue
questions ... similarly, I have doubts that all that many end users
really grasp that dvb is in relation to a digital subsystem.

- in general, I like the unified branding that "LinuxTV" permits ... its
about TV on Linux based computer systems ... its name should be pretty
straight forward in conveying that fact (at least, it strikes me as
being such) ... and it avoids the end user having to figure whether they
need to post on v4l or on linux-dvb lists ... quite frankly, "v4l" is a
poor descriptor -- if I were a novice, I'd be more inclined to think
that it was about video cards as opposed to being an analogue capture
subsystem...in these regards, "dvb" certainly isn't much better in
conveying that its dealing with the reception or capture of (digital)
television

- turning to the #irc channels, the same arguments hold, except that the
dvb related channel isn't even named as such...rather it carries the
"linuxtv" name ... now, I know that the channel topic headers will
describe the type of discussion related to that channel, but honestly,
next to no one heeds any attention to that...so it is of my opinion that
the situation is even less then clear for the end user....in my opinion,
its time to make a single channel function for all end users .... if so
desired  even two channels -- "#LinuxTV-users" (or even just usurp the
existing #linuxtv channel into becoming multifunctional) and possibly
another for developers if they so desire (i.e. "#LinuxTV-dvel")

In short, we can:
- help alleviate end user confusion
- improve the lines of communication (i.e end users will only need
approach one list/#irc for their TV or capturing need, regardless of
whether their questions/problems are analogue or dvb related)
- provide a greater user pool looking at all the end user problems
- capitalize on a unified branding (i.e. "LinuxTV")
- help promote a unified front/effort, and put an end to the
segmentation .... something that I feel is needlessly too common of an
occurrence in respect to Linux ..... (nine hundred and ninety-nine
largely non differing distros being a prime example)

... and perhaps some other good reasons that I'm just not thinking about
right now.