Re: System fails to boot on adding second DVB-T PCI card

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 02:03:55AM +0100, hermann pitton wrote:

> > > Guess this is the root of the problem. Axel's modules might fail to
> > > eliminate it.
> > >
> > > Mauro has converted the old single videobuf.ko to different types to be
> > > more flexible. Looks like you have an upgrade to the new types without
> > > that the old videobuf.ko is removed from your /lib/modules.../media
> > > stuff. Try to remove/delete it manually and "depmod -a".
> >
> > is there a way to somehow blacklist videobuf.ko w/o having to remove
> > it? The reason is that packagewise this belongs to the kernel rpm
> > which is managed by the upstream vendor (e.g. Red Hat, Fedora) and I
> > wouldn't want to nuke it - it would return anyway with the next kernel
> > update.
> >
> > Instead maybe some dummy alias or some remapping could be made to
> > effectively remove it from module-utils' radar w/o actually removing
> > the file? That would be much cleaner from a packaging POV.
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> here it is de facto gone, if not anymore in the next kernel release.
>
> What you do in between is up to you.
>
> If you like to stay in sync as close as possible, of course v4l-dvb
> counts and not the delayed kernel stuff.

Yes, I understand that - but I'm interested in providing recent
v4l/dvb for users of for example 2.6.18 kernels as well, as found in
RHEL5/CentOS5/SL5. This allows users or even OEMs to build multimedia
systems on stable enterprise platforms.

It all works quite well as there are mechanisms to override the
kernel's modules - only when they are renamed like in this case one
needs to take special care. That was what I was asking about. :)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net