Re: Nova-t remote stopped working (budget_ci rc5_device not set?)

I demand that Kevin Page may or may not have written...

> I'm running a pretty standard Fedora 7 box with MythTV. Recently my remote
> control, plugged into a SAA7146 era Nova-T, stopped working.
[snip]
> After much searching, I tried enabling the ir_debug option on the budget_ci
> module. This showed me that the ir signals were still being received, but
> for some reason were no longer generating input events to be picked up by
> lirc.

> I then looked at the rc5_device parameter. This was, by default, set to -1.
> If I changed it to 255/"any device" then keycodes are generated and lirc
> works again.

Hmm. Strange...

> A few questions:
> 1) Is -1 the "autodetect" value for rc5_device? If so, which remote should
> be autodetected for the Nova-T? (I have both the smaller black Hauppauge
> remote, and a black/grey one - neither worked by default)

-1 is autodetect, meaning whatever is correct for the remote control which is
normally supplied with the DVB device. For your Nova-T, this should be
causing 0x1F to be used.

> 2) How do I work out the value of rc5_device for my remotes? I've found
> mention of looking at the ir_debug output, but no instruction of how to
> interpret it.

It's described in the comments within msp430_ir_interrupt
(media/dvb/ttpci/budget-ci.c). Look at the lower 5 bits of the bytes with bit
6 clear; it might help to report output from "lspci -nv" for the card.

> 3) Would this change have hit mainline kernels fairly recently - perhaps
> between 2.6.22 and 2.6.23? I'm wondering if this is a full or partial
> explanation of the breakage.

No idea - any breakage in budget-ci has gone unnoticed here since I've not
used that driver for some time.

> 4) Does this mean I could expect the Nova-T receiver to work with an RC5
> protocol remote? For some reason I'd always thought it would only work with
> the Hauppage supplied remote.

Yes. It will pick up and process signals from Philips remote controls, for
example.

|   <URL:http://www.youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk/progs.packages.html>

I'd like to, but having fun gives me prickly heat.