Re: AverTV Hybrid Volar HX

Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
> 2008/1/1, Manu Abraham <abraham.manu@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
>>> Hi Manu
>>>
>> There is a OSS driver upcoming, supported by the chip manufacturer themselves
>> (AFA Technologies.) I have been a bit involved in that process.
>
> Yep - looks nice - and do you have any idea about the release date?

I don't have a date, but the chip manufacturer as well as everybody involved is under
pressure, due to the large usage of the chip by different peripheral manufacturers.
It has to come out soon, looking at the list of supported device configurations by now,
nothing less than 33 configurations documented list as i have now, just PC based
configurations alone, CE equipments excluded.

>> The current state is that there are some tests going on in the AFA labs on the driver
>> for the chip (currently, 2nd round) due to all the Hardware hacks on the chip to handle
>
> Maybe I could help with testing and reporting bugs ?
> As I can see it would be probably useless to try hacking any code for
> this device myself.

The current state of testing is that, one needs to understand the chip internals and
the testing happens in the Labs alone (lot of undocumented things in there,
documentation being really crap), with some basic tests we have going on. As soon
as it get's past this stage, there is something for users to test.

I have redone the driver a few times by now, trying to handle the different aspects.
There have been some discussions on this ML also, on the same a while back.

Regards,
Manu