Re: WinTV-CI from Hauppauge

Steven Toth wrote:
> Manu Abraham wrote:
>> Steven Toth wrote:

>>> That would work, but it's kind of a hack. Why not have a mechanism for
>>> routing content directly into a cam and back into the s/w demux as
>>> required?
>>
>> Although sounds nice to hear, In kernel copying in a TS to "another"
>> device might be like shooting oneself in the foot.
>
> I'd settle for seeing a working solution under Linux, however it
> happens. I suspect whoever takes the docs and builds something will most
> likely get traction with their ideas. With GPL drivers it can evolved
> over time.
>
> Getting the docs out, rather than worrying about implementation, is
> higher on my priority list.
>
> Gathering feedback from the apps devs is just as important (IMHO).
>
> - Steve

glad to see this topic is gathering so much interest !

progress :
installed XP Professional, usbsnoop and the Hauppauge drivers
so now I can capture the data and commands going to and from the WinTV-CI
first capture I made seemed OK, not easy to find meaning in it, though. The expected docs will solve that mystery.
the driver complained it couldn't find a supported DVB-card (there's currently only a KNCOne TV-Station in there),
so I ordered a WinTV-NOVA S Plus, and will be able to capture the full range of commands/data shortly

plans :
write a minimalist device driver, manage firmware, and expose a basic interface through /dev/something
write a userspace commandline utility that uses this device to descramble recordings from a DVB-S card (disk -> WinTV-CI -> disk)
(this would get me the functionality of my Arion AF-9280PVR settop box that records up to 4 scrambled streams and decodes afterwards)
get MythTV to use the utility as a postprocessing task, and multi-card, multi-stream recording of payTV is possible

getting a supported DVB-S card and the WinTV-CI to work seamlessly together would be the ultimate goal, how best to do this is for the moment unclear
to me

comments and suggestions welcome, as always

Luc