Why dvb-pll.c

Dear linux-dvb:

    Not long before, I added microtuen mt2131 tuner to Linux kernel 2.6.20 which is the standard kernel of my Ubuntu feisty.
But these days, I installed Ubuntu gutsy which uses kernel 2.6.22. And I compiled mt2131 kernel module, however, I can't
tune any channel anymore.
    I looked into kernel 2.6.22, and I found a new dvb tuner architecture is adapted in the new kernel, I just find it
becomes inconvenient for us to add new tuner to Linux dvb. This new architecture seems put all jobs into dvb-pll.c, but why,
I think every tuner has its own configuration method, why we need dvb-pll.c to pursue all the configuration jobs?
    Any explanation is highly appreciated.