Re: Start thinking about potential Google Summer of Code Projects we could run

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 11:26:35 -0500
CityK <CityK@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Google summer of code will be rolling around in a couple of months.  Now
> I know we've talked a little bit about it before, but I don't recall
> what the thoughts on it were.  In any regard, on the surface of things,
> it would seem a perfect opportunity for the LinuxTV Project to leverage
> -- i.e. enslave a few students to get some desperately needed tasks,
> components, apps, drivers or whatever done.  Side benefit -- it might
> hopefully attact a few more developers to the project too -- get some
> new blood, stir up the pot, chase after nagging/long-time bugs etc, etc.
>
> So, I suggest we start thinking about or, better yet, discussing
> ideas/projects for which we could make use of the GSOC.
>
> (I, of course, was kidding about the enslavement part)

The userspace library seems interesting for me.

On kernel side, a good contribution would be the V4L2 conversion. There are
still several V4L1 only drivers that need conversions (mostly webcams).

Another good contribution would be testset tools to allow checking regressions
at the drivers and driver compliance with the API.

This tool should check both DVB and V4L APIs, identifying the differences
between an old version driver and the newer one, running all possible supported
ioctls. I've started working on such tool, for V4L, but never finished, due to
the lack of time (the current work is at v4l2-apps/test/).

Cheers,
Mauro