Re: Thinking about buying a DVB-S Card

2007/11/27, Robert Longbottom <RobertCL@xxxxxxxxx>:
On Tue, November 27, 2007 9:03 am, Eduard Huguet wrote:
> Hi,
>     I'm thinking about adding DVB-S support to my MythTV computer, which
> at
> current time uses only a Hauppauge Nova-T 500 dual-tuner DVB-T card. As I
> have only another free PCI slot I'm considering the following
> possibilities:
>

>    - LifeView FlyDVB Trio (DVB-T, DVB-S and analog / FM)
>    - Hauppauge HVR-3000 (DVB-T, DVB-S and analog / FM)
>    - LifeView Fly DVB-S (DVB-S only)
>    - Hauppauge Nova-S Plus (DVB-S only)
>    -
>
> ¿Does anybody know of any issues of these cards under Linux / MythTV I
> should be aware of? Apparently all of them are fully supported by V4L, so
> there shouldn't be problems, at least in theory...
>
> My preferred choice at this time are the FlyDVB Trio or the HVR-3000, as
> I'd
> get another extra DVB-T tuner along with the DVB-S one, and even an analog
> /
> FM one. However, I'm not sure of how really well supported are these
> cards,
> specially the Hauppauge...
>
> Regarding the FlyDVB Trio and the HVR-3000: ¿are the different tuners
> (DVB-T, DVB-S and analog) really independent? I mean, ¿can I be
> simutaneously recording a DVB-T and a DVB-S stream at the same time?

Regarding the HVR-3000, linux support for it isn't great - some drivers
were developed by Steven Toth, but they never made it into the mainline
kernel and I think he's pretty much abandoned them in favour of supporting
the HVR-4000.

As for simultaneous recordings, whenever I've tried to record DVB-S and
Analog at the same time it hasn't worked - one or the other has stopped.
I don't know if this is a limitation of the drivers or the card.

Saying that I have DVB-s working with Mythtv, but I never use the analog
or DVB-T parts of the card - I feel I'd be better off with a Nova-S or
something similar.

Thats my experience anyway.
Robert.

Thank you very much. So according to the info you gave me then the HVR-3000 is really not a good option for me, as I'd really want to use both the DVB-T and DVB-S, probably at the same time.

Do anybody knows if the same thing apply for LifeView FlyDVB Trio?

Thank you very much,
  Eduard