Re: DVB-S2 API vs. HVR4000: When?

Manu Abraham wrote:
> Steven Toth wrote:
>> Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> Thanks, that's useful.
>>>

>> Yes.

>>> I'd prefer to address the remaining API issues first, however
>>> what I primarily want to avoid is that Steve rewrites the
>>> HVR4000 driver to a competing API proposal due to
>>> frustration with the lack of progress.
>>>

>> Agreed.
>>
>>> IMHO there should be a clear path of actions for Steve
>>> (or whoever else wants to help) to do that would allow merging
>>> the HVR4000 driver. I.e. instead of having to wait for some
>>> event beyond his control there should be a checklist, and
>>> the merge can happen when all items are resolved.
>>>
>>> Or something like that. Preferably Steve would comment
>>> how he'd like to go forward.
>>>

>> If these are new API's then I suspect the HVR4000 doesn't use them. I
>> would agree it makes sense to define them, but depending on their focus
>> they may not need to be implemented and should not be considered a
>> roadblock to an alpha release.
>>
>> If they don't impact core functionality then I see no reason why this
>> cannot be defined now, but implement (and refined) later during the test
>> cycle. (I'm expecting testing to be a very long process, because we'll
>> need to encourage the VDR/MythTV/Other applications groups to begin
>> integration).
>>
>> I am a realist. I don't expect the first tree will be perfect. I am
>> expecting some change. I am expecting apps devs/testers to find bugs and
>> problems which will cause us to rethink some parts of the multiproto
>> core and it's S2 drivers.
>>
>> No doubt the VDR and MythTV folks will also have something to say and
>> that may impact the API also. We need to pay respect to the opinions of
>> the applications developers.
>>
>> I don't think the first release needs to be perfect.
>>
>> I think if the current API is good enough to support the needs of
>> Myth/VDR then that's something we can start with. Release early, release
>> often.
>

> It is not how the APi is good enough to support the needs of MythTV or VDR,
> but how the API can be considered as a guide for the application developers
> to understand how to talk to a DVB-S2 device
>

>> Manu, this is your patch and I respect your work, how would you suggest
>> we proceed?
>>

> There does exist a ported version of VDR to the new API. The current situation
> is that the S2 devices cannot be tuned to certain frequencies because of the
> use of Backward compatible modes, ie the API, nor the drivers currently do
> support them.
>
> Give application developers a chance to mess up stating that the API is out,
> eventually what will happen is: example look at people crying out on
> mythtv issues with regards to DVB devices. I have had quite some experiences
> [...]

You've miss-interpreted my comments.

I suggested that the API should be defined, but not necessarily
implemented. I was suggesting that we define enough API to generate a
test tree and make some progress. Supporting your earlier statement, I
suggested that the small amount of unimplemented API (which you
suggested was inconsequential) could be implemented while other
developers were testing the core TV functionality.

I.e. This becomes a group effort, not a Manu effort.

I never suggested the test tree would get merged, in fact I went out of
my way to suggest that the process of testing would likely raise various
design issues and/or bugs. I clearly outlined that I'm a realist and I
expected this testing phase to cause change.

I thought I'd made myself clear.

I ended my previous email respectfully and repeated Linus's mantra. I
was assuming your response would be positive.

Instead you've launched into a patronizing tirade and none of this
ingratiates you with the other developers, it only stands in the way of
progress and demonstrates the attitude we've witnessed over the last
12-18 months re: multiproto.

I don't think I have anything else to say on the subject of multiproto,
until you see fit to deliver publically your 'marvelous multiproto
invention - all things under one roof', no doubt to the sound of
trumpets, gasps and country wide applause.

I'm wasting my time here.

- Steve