Re: XC5000/XC3028 tuner dvb support?

Steven Toth wrote:
> Chaogui Zhang wrote:
>
>> Hi, everyone,
>>
>> I bought a Pinnacle PCTV HD 800i card recently and I am trying to add
>> support for the card. It has the following chips on board:
>>
>> 1. CX23883 (supported already)
>> 2. Samsung S5H1409 (supported already)
>> 3. Cirrus 5340 ADC (not seen on the I2C bus)
>> 4. ATMEL eeprom (forgot the part no., but probably not needed anyway)
>> 5. Xceive XC5000 or XC3028 tuner. (Not visible, mentioned in the windows
>>    driver inf file.)
>>

> Great! Take some decent PCB and silicon pictures and make them available
> via a website so we can all see the board. :)

"A" website?? See, the correct answer should be the "LinuxTV wiki" ....
but it doesn't matter, as this has already been done:
http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Pinnacle_PCTV_HD_Card_%28800i%29

And speaking of things that have already been done, there already was a
discussion on this card just a FEW DAYS AGO. See:
http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2007-October/021380.html

>> The windows inf file refers to Xceive XC5000 as the tuner in the
>> *comment*, but there is NO mentioning of it anywhere else, while
>> XC3028 is referenced a few more times (firmware, tuner type comment
>> etc). I am pasting the relevant parts of the inf file below.

>> Based on the windows driver information, is it safe to say that it may
>> contain the XC5000 hardware,

Yes, it is the XC5000 -- hence the overall ability of the card to
support 256-QAM, as the XC3028 no can provide such .... (XC3028 can
serve up 64-QAM source to the demod, but not 256-QAM).

It is possible that Pinnacle also developed a similar card based on the
XC3028 -- which would make it, by virtue of component constitution,
similar to some other cards on the market (like KWorld ATSC 120,
Geniatech X8000a, DViCO F5 nano PCI, maybe others..) -- and hence the
presence of the XC3028 stuff in the .inf file, but has only released the
XC5000 based board instead.

>> I also noticed that on the i2c bus, it seems like the tuner is at
>> 0x64 (there are only 3 visible addresses: 0x19 (s5h1409), 0x50 (eeprom),
>> and 0x64). However, the windows inf file refers to TunerI2CAddress at
>> 0xC2 (which corresponds to 0x61 == (0xC2>>1)). I am puzzled by the
>> discrepancy here

I'd hazard a guess that the info in the inf only applies to a XC3028
based board, and not a XC5000 based board.