Re: random memory corruptions with asus p7131 (Re: asus p7131 vs ZDF?)

Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-10-14 at 19:47 +0200, Oliver Endriss wrote:
> > Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:

> > > Hmmhh, reading what it changes
> > >
> > > "Two fixes for the 'saa7146_wait_for_debi_done' code:
> > > (a) Timeout did not work when the routine was called with interrupts
> > >     disabled.
> > > (b) Reduce PCI I/O load caused by saa7146_wait_for_debi_done.
> > >     Seems to be very important on fast machines!"
> > >
> > > I am not sure why this could fix the problems I am seeing. I can give it
> > > a try if you are quite confident that it could help
> >
> > High load on the PCI bus might trigger a bug somewhere else.
> > Btw, I'm not aware of any reports that the saa7146 driver caused memory
> > corruption or something like that.
>
> Well it could be a bug in the asus p7131 firmware and the card just
> randomly doing weird things... and if this can be seen only after a few
> days of vdr/continuous use not many people may be affected and you may
> just not get reports.
>
> > > , but I get
> > >
> > > - gcc compile failures
> > > - filesystem corruptions
> > > - database corruptions
> >
> > Hm. Very often these symptoms are caused by broken hardware.
>
> I know. But as this machine has uptimes of months without this card
> (even with several pci slots in use and worked for long long times with
> very different cards in these slots) and it does not work when I just
> use the card instead of a win-tv or so I am sure that it is the the asus
> card which is not working correctly.
>
> Anyway I am now replacing that card with a tt-1500-t lets see whether
> strange things will happen or not.
>
> > > when the card's driver is loaded and is in use for a few days (and then
> > > finally a hang/crash+reboot). I have the *feeling* that the situation
> > > improved slightly by improving reception via F-connectors, so I thing
> > > there is some kind of buffer overflow or so occurring...
> > >
> > > Anyway thanks for your work, I will happily try it if you think it may
> > > fix this problem.
> >
> > I would try. ;-)
>
> Well :-) If the tt-1500 turns out to work OK I can just once give the
> asus + your isolated patch a last chance before trashing it...

Wait! Please clarify whether you think that your problem is caused by
the _saa7134_ driver or the _saa7146_ driver.

You wrote 'that <memory corruption> is caused by the saa7146 driver,'
Is this a typo? Did you mean saa7134?

(My patch is pointless if you do not run a saa7146-based card.)

CU
Oliver