Re: random memory corruptions with asus p7131 (Re: asus p7131 vs ZDF?)

On Sun, 2007-10-14 at 19:47 +0200, Oliver Endriss wrote:
> Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
> > >
> > > Could you please try the patch posted in
> > > http://linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2007-October/021042.html
> > >
> > > and report whether it fixes your problem?
> >
> > Hmmhh, reading what it changes
> >
> > "Two fixes for the 'saa7146_wait_for_debi_done' code:
> > (a) Timeout did not work when the routine was called with interrupts
> >     disabled.
> > (b) Reduce PCI I/O load caused by saa7146_wait_for_debi_done.
> >     Seems to be very important on fast machines!"
> >
> > I am not sure why this could fix the problems I am seeing. I can give it
> > a try if you are quite confident that it could help
>
> High load on the PCI bus might trigger a bug somewhere else.
> Btw, I'm not aware of any reports that the saa7146 driver caused memory
> corruption or something like that.

Well it could be a bug in the asus p7131 firmware and the card just
randomly doing weird things... and if this can be seen only after a few
days of vdr/continuous use not many people may be affected and you may
just not get reports.

> > , but I get
> >
> > - gcc compile failures
> > - filesystem corruptions
> > - database corruptions
>
> Hm. Very often these symptoms are caused by broken hardware.

I know. But as this machine has uptimes of months without this card
(even with several pci slots in use and worked for long long times with
very different cards in these slots) and it does not work when I just
use the card instead of a win-tv or so I am sure that it is the the asus
card which is not working correctly.

Anyway I am now replacing that card with a tt-1500-t lets see whether
strange things will happen or not.

> > when the card's driver is loaded and is in use for a few days (and then
> > finally a hang/crash+reboot). I have the *feeling* that the situation
> > improved slightly by improving reception via F-connectors, so I thing
> > there is some kind of buffer overflow or so occurring...
> >
> > Anyway thanks for your work, I will happily try it if you think it may
> > fix this problem.
>
> I would try. ;-)

Well :-) If the tt-1500 turns out to work OK I can just once give the
asus + your isolated patch a last chance before trashing it...

Soeren