Re: Hauppauge Nova-T 500 not recognised by driver due to USB ID.

Hi Andrew,

On Sun, 7 Oct 2007, Andrew Preater wrote:
> In summary: I have a Hauppauge Nova-T 500 dual-tuner DVB-T PCI
> card that is not recognised by the DVB driver because it has a
> strange USB ID.  When the source is edited to force recognition
> of the card as a Nova-T 500, it works.
>
> I had some spare time this weekend so decided to upgrade the OS
> on the house MythTV box, add a DVB-T tuner card, and swap
> architecture to amd64 distribution from i386.  I now have Debian
> 4.0 (etch) for amd64, running the current stable 2.6.18-5-686
> kernel.  Following the linuxtv wiki page for this card, I
> downloaded the driver with mercurial and compiled it
> against my kernel.  I needed to create a symlink from
> /lib/modules/2.6.18-5-amd64/source to /lib/modules/2.6.18-5-amd64/build
> as the driver expected 'source', otherwise the build and install
> was clean and smooth.  dvb-usb-dib0700-03-pre1.fw is in place.  I
> am in the United Kingdom and therefore am using PAL-I.

> BTW I know I have an early-ish model Nova-T, definitely not the
> "Diversity" card.  FWIW these are the markings on my card:
>
> WinTV-NOVA-T-500
> DVB-T 99101 LF
> Rev D8B5
>
> Initially the card doesn't work.  When dvb-usb-dib0700 is
> modprobed, this all that appears in dmesg:
>
> dib0700: loaded with support for 5 different device-types
> usbcore: registered new driver dvb_usb_dib0700
>
> That's it, just the two lines.  Searching around this problem, the
> penny dropped when I saw talk about a change to the USB ID of the
> Nova-T cards with the unsupported "Diversity" revision - my card
> doesn't have a Hauppauge ID it seems:
>
> $ lsusb
> Bus 006 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 005 Device 002: ID 10b8:0066 DiBcom

The eeprom of your card seems to be erased or most likely broken.

> I can now scan for channels, tune in with tzap and watch a
> programme with mplayer, so I conclude the card would be OK if the
> driver included the relevant ID in dvb-usb-ids.h.

The IDs used by your device are the standard IDs of the dib0700-usb-chip.
We cannot add those to the list, because they are not unqiue.

I suggest to exchange your card if you have warranty.

Patrick.

--
  Mail: patrick.boettcher@xxxxxxx