RE : RE : RE : RE : linux-dvb and Dektec [was: DVB API update]

> What do you do about devices having HW filters ? Then you will need
> to implement them in userland, in your view, which brings in inconsistent
> userspace interfaces.

I addressed this in a previous mail of this thread. The device driver
should report capabilities in a standard way: able to demux PIDs,
able to demux PES packets, etc. The public API of the userland
library offers a standard demux API to the application. Internally,
the library checks if the frontend device can do hardware demux.
It it can, the library invokes it. If it can't, the library
reads the TS and does software demux.

This is more or less what is done now, except that everything is
in the kernel.

But I agree that this is a theoretical discussion. The reality is
different. Linux-dvb is entirely in the kernel and we have to live
with that. Starting a new incompatible dvb framework would we create
more trouble than solving problems.