Re: RE : RE : RE : linux-dvb and Dektec [was: DVB API update]

Thierry Lelegard wrote:
>> Copying in and out of kernel is not fun and eats
>> a lot of your CPU. Which is quite useless.
>
> It is not a matter of performance, it is a matter of
> operating system security and stability.

In the outlook that we can accept that fact that we can live with reduced
performance. (Though i am not following your security viewpoint)

> Access to a device is a matter of security, it needs
> access to internal kernel structure, it needs user access
> control. It must be in the kernel.
>
> Once you gain access to a DBV device, there is no security
> involved in demuxing the TS. There is no *need* to implement
> a software demux in the kernel.

Consider, this view as though everything else is fine:

What do you do about devices having HW filters ? Then you will need
to implement them in userland, in your view, which brings in inconsistent
userspace interfaces.

> Concerning stability, the more code you put in the kernel,
> the more potential bugs you get. Bugs in the kernel means
> potential security breach, potential system hang or crash.
> So, when there is no good security reason to put something
> the kernel, you don't.
>
> This is what it done in microkernels such as Chorus, Mach or L4.

You should look at Minix as well, but then the OS design is completely
different.

> I know, Linux is a monolithic kernel, not a microkernel.
> But monolithic does not mean bloated. See Solaris or OpenVMS,
> they are monolithic kernels, but they know when it is reasonable
> to put code in the kernel and when it is not.

Manu