Re: DVB API update

On 9/20/07, Steven Toth <stoth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Markus Rechberger wrote:

> >> your

> >> My, my,
> >>
> >> you and Markus would have exactly _nothing_ without the prior work done
> >> by others.
> >>
> >> If you don't feel referenced enough by some lines from you currently,
> >> likely only by running on NDAs first, just make it clear and you get
> >> _your_ credit!
> >>

> > there should be another thread called "Ongoing internal flamewars"
> >
> > and the first line of that mail should be idiots who cannot work together
> > and disagree whenever it's possible.
> >

> I completely agree.
>
> It's much easier to burn the barn down than to rebuild it, and we have a
> lot of arsonists in linuxtv.

I don't think that there are any arsonists .. I think it's better for
all parties
to go their own way now since there's no agreement and the communication
is still on a bad level between certain people. This will at least keep
everything calm.
A bit competition shouldn't hurt after all...

As someone pointed out earlier if someone disagrees with something try
to build your own way around it to not cross each other's way.
It might not always be the best way but it keeps projects running since it's
only about drivers only support for various devices count.
As for projects which are not included in the kernel and for people who
do not get along with Mauro, the code can be submitted to the LKML
and Andrew, Greg, Linus or someone else can also pick up the sourcecode.

> People need to get over previous flame wars and get back to doing the
> one thing that brought them into the linuxtv community in the first
> place, community development.

It always requires 2 and more people .. I don't think that someone will
start a flamewar if there wouldn't be so many disagreements. Although
it's not worth to send flame mails around in the end..

> Anything else is a waste of everyones time and only demonstrates to the
> rest of the world how fragmented many of the linuxtv devs really are.

maybe it's best to keep it more fragmented for a few years... a few people
might stop their participation and newer people might join .. the only
advice I'd give here is to accept what newer people do. Nobody here is
perfect and some suggestions can be kept as suggestions without forcing
them over someone if there's no serious technical reason about it...
if people are willing to do something let them do..

> Everyone should draw their mental line under their own personal hangups
> and move on.

definitelly yes.

Markus