Re: DVB API update

> > > And I think it would be wrong to delay DVB-S2 support until you
> > > have all of DVB-H, DVB-T2, etc. properly hammered out.

I have to agree with Johannes. The current 2.6 development model is
based on "Commit earlier and commit often", as stated by Linus.

This means that a big trouble can (and should) be split into smaller
troubles and cleaner solutions.

This also means that the life cycle for adding newer functionalities in
kernel shouldn't take a large amount of time.

If we wait for finishing V4 API to support DVB-S2, some drivers, already
written, should wait, losing their time to market (In fact, they are
already late). I don't see any reason for postponing it more.

On the other hand, userspace API should be forever. So, changes should
be done in a way to avoid breaking binary compatibility with userspace
apps. So, an extra care should be taken to avoid creating APIs that may
need to be changed in a near future. One possible way to try to solve
this dilema is to mark the newer API changes as EXPERIMENTAL, for quite
a few kernel versions.

Anyway, IMO, we should prioritize DVB-S2 and multiple frontend support
(for hybrid DVB-T/DVB-C boards). This doesn't mean that we should forget
the other targets. For example, I'm interested on ARIB extensions, since
we should be working soon on an ISDB-T board for Brazil's market.

Cheers,
Mauro.