Frontend device "disappearing" with Hauppauge WinTV NOVA-T-500

Hello,

I have been using various Hauppauge devices on Linux for years and I have
a strange problem since I use a Hauppauge WinTV NOVA-T-500 (a dual-tuner
DVB-T receiver on a PCI card which appears as 2 USB devices).

I use the DVB devices from custom applications reading and analysing
transport streams. From time to time, the application fails to start
because the frontend0 device is no longer present.

See that, frontend0 and net0 are no longer present under adapter0:

$ ls -l /dev/dvb/*
/dev/dvb/adapter0:
total 0
crw-rw----+ 1 tlelegard video 212, 4 2007-09-17 14:41 demux0
crw-rw----+ 1 tlelegard video 212, 5 2007-09-17 14:41 dvr0

/dev/dvb/adapter1:
total 0
crw-rw----+ 1 tlelegard video 212, 68 2007-09-17 14:41 demux0
crw-rw----+ 1 tlelegard video 212, 69 2007-09-17 14:41 dvr0
crw-rw----+ 1 tlelegard video 212, 67 2007-09-17 14:41 frontend0
crw-rw----+ 1 tlelegard video 212, 71 2007-09-17 14:41 net0
$

Note that the same application worked perfectly 5 minutes ago. I cannot
say if the frontend device disappeared when the previous instance of the
application terminated, when the new one started or some time between the two.

It is not reproduceable at will (I have not yet determined what triggered
the problem) but it reappears every few days.

The only solution is to reboot the system. After reboot, the two adapters are
back online.

Here is a summary of the configuration:

Kernel: 2.6.22.5-76.fc7 (i686)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo
Receiver: Hauppauge WinTV NOVA-T-500
Firmware file: dvb-usb-dib0700-01.fw

Note that this system was previously running an x86_64 version of Fedora 7 and
the problem was already there. A few weeks ago, I installed the i686 version
of Fedora since I now use a Dektec modulator and the Dektec code is only
provided as 32-bit binary (no source code and no 64-bit binary). So, the problem
is seen on both 32-bit and 64-bit kernels.

Is this a known problem? Any clue on how to fix that or at least bring the
disappeared devices back online without rebooting the system?

Thanks for any help,

Best regards,
-Thierry Lelégard