Re: DVB API update

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 11:17:19PM +0200, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2007, Manu Abraham wrote:
> >
> > If you would like to fix that in V3, i would much appreciate. If you
> > would just like to keep talking only, maybe lets then not talk too much
> > about it.
>
> The recording filters are exactly the piece from V4 which has the
> "mmap DMA buffers" zero copy API. But to be honest, I don't think
> it's important on a PC which can copy > 1GByte/s in RAM. More
> interesting would be the ability to have multiple independant filtered
> TS outputs instead of just one dvr device.

Sorry to quote here, but this seems to be the start of a longer
discussion.

I personally have no experience with more than one DVB card, but how
about a "DVB streaming server"? AFAIK this is possible with current
linuxdvb and VDR, and this could be an even more interesting target
if more and more streaming clients are available.
Of course, current PCs do have a huge amount of bandwidth resources,
but such a device should be low-power, and so a not so powerful CPU
would be preferred. From former experiments I know that a 266 MHz Geode
does in fact have significant load when simply streaming two or three
SDTV streams from the same transponder - but as this is about 5 years
ago, I do not recall the exact numbers.

Again, personally I do not have much experience with the demux except
using it, but the discussion got quite emotional, so I want to try
to reduce it to use cases and pros/cons of different approaches.

Best regards,
Wolfgang