Re: DVB API update

Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2007, Manu Abraham wrote:
>> The problem is that, after making something experimental, throwing it
>> out to application authors stating here it is: the API update, again a
>> fix to the API will make anyone furious, nobody wants to keep tinkering
>> forever on the same thing.
>
> Exactly, that's why I blocked your initial attempt to merge the
> DVB-S2 API extensions. *That* it was experimental code (even
> completely untested).
>
> But after all the discussions, and you and Steve have written
> drivers which I hope prove the API as working, why do you
> still think it is experimental? What would it take to make
> it non-experimental?
>
>> I would prefer to say mark it experimental in
>> a tree dedicated to it, such that it is explicitly stated that it is not
>> a permanent solution and in the background, the fixes required for the
>> relevant can be done.
>
> IMHO application developers hate temporary APIs -- it means they
> have to rewrite their code later, and there are zero guarantees
> as to when you make the change to the "real" API and how big the
> required changes would be.

[snip]

> I really don't think there is any problem in releasing API version 3.3
> with DVB-S2 support now, then 3.4 with DVB-H, then 3.5 with DVB-T2 etc.

" I'm still not sure about the DVB-S2 API. So I would prefer
if the whole change would not be merged into mainline
until there is at least one fully functional DVB-S2 driver
in the tree (i.e. keep it in a v4l-dvb-s2 repo for now).

If you think this is too much hassle, then at least
mark the DVB-S2 stuff as "EXPERIMENTAL / DO NOT USE / SUBJECT
TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE" (in capitals). So that you can
break binary and source compatibilty for the DVB-S2 part
with clean conscience until it is proven stable.

Agreed?

Johannes"

Someone by name Johannes Stezenbach wrote this, while the intend was to
do the minimalistic approach with DVB-S2 (ie, without the advanced
features of DVB-S2) ;-)

I don't know whether it was you.

Manu