Re: DVB API update

Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2007, Steven Toth wrote:
>> Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
>>> But after all the discussions, and you and Steve have written
>>> drivers which I hope prove the API as working, why do you
>>> still think it is experimental? What would it take to make
>>> it non-experimental?
>> My take on the patches is this:
>>
>> It's experimental.
>>
>> However, it's been experimental for about a year and it's not getting
>> traction, I've said this before on the ML - it needs to be driven. I've
>> been pinging Manu recently to put up a tree on linuxtv.org/hg, merged with
>> the latest v4l-dvb tree so people like myself can start testing, breaking
>> and patching the tree.
>>
>> No tree = no testers = no discussion = no review = no merge = no support in
>> Linux.
>>
>> I want to help start the ball rolling.
>
> Great, sounds like a good plan.
>
>>> I wish you'd just stop with all those private discussions and instead
>>> keep it on the list all the time. That way everyone would have all
>>> the relevant information, which is one of the key points of doing
>>> Open Source development: spreading not just the code but also the
>>> knowledge about the technology. mrec isn't completely wrong when he says
>>> that this list gives the appearance of a closed, elitist circle where
>>> everything interesting happens in backrooms.
>> That's a little harsh Johannes. :)
>
> But I mean it. I used clear words so everyone would get it.

from the Userspace tuner thread:

"Manu throws his drivers over the wall to the OSS community, although
I don't mind.
Mauro is copying the logic of my code and writes I told him I'm ok with
taking my code without just adding a single line of how his driver
got developed. (I still wonder why he skipped some significant parts
of the driver .. because he used the existing one as logic template)

http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mchehab/tm6000-new/log/14352ab89146/linux/drivers/media/video/tuner-xc2028.c
(not looking at the specific changeset but he copied the firmware

Manu