Re: WinTV HVR-3000

Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> Hi
>
> I recently bought the PCI card in $subject, and haven't been able to
> tune any channel at all, neither from the DVB-T nor from the DVB-S. The
> kernel detects it perfectly, it creates all /dev/* devices, but when
> tuning (tried with scan, scantv and tvtime), no channels show up. DVB-T
> doesn't get yet to my house, and I've heard DVB-S support for this card
> was not fully functional yet, but AFAIK it should at least work with
> plain ol' analog TV, right?

I haven't specifically tried the HVR3000 support in the stock hg/v4l-dvb
kernel, but I think someone enabled for DVB-T and analog support only.

> I read in the archives to use the special hvr3000 sources, so tried
> that, but couldn't compile it on a 2.6.22 kernel. Is there a newer
> version? and if so, does it work for both DVB-S and DVB-T?

No newer version exists and I have no plans to work on it until after
manu's multiproto patches are merged 'real soon'. After which, I'll make
the major revisions and bring the kernel back up to speed and ask for
review pending a final merge into v4l-dvb.

I'll happily accept any patches from you if you're willing to perform
the merge pre-multiproto, feel free to clone the hvr3000 tree and do
whatever you like.

> If not, I am willing to help testing the code, since I've already had 3
> different TV cards with no luck, and not sure if the guys in the shop
> would allow me to return it again :-)
>
> So, should I keep this card, or should I go to the shop and get a better
> supported one? And, which one (with DVB-S and, if possible, DVB-T) is
> 100% supported? I ask because the 2 previous capturers I bought
> (Pinnacle PCTV 400/450e USB) didn't work for me at all, even though they
> show up as supported

DVB-T and DVB-S are supported in the hg/~stoth/hvr3000 tree, but you'd
have to run an earlier kernel, circa 2.6.18 (?)

- Steve