DVB streaming buffering

Hello. I have a kinda difficult problem here
so I appreciate any input.

I am using a PC sat receiver with skystar2 and m-audio (pci audio card).
I play streaming satellite radio using mplayer and arts.
I need arts in order to easily mix audio files stored locally and satellite
radio.

All this works just fine. However, when the satellite reception is not good
over some period of time
and gets back to good, I always have a delay (buffering) of 5-10 seconds on
the streaming radio
as compared to a Neta.

My tests showed that mplayer is the culprit and not arts, since I have the
problem even without arts.
I also modified the size of the buffer in the
/MPlayer-1.0rc1/stream/stream_dvb.c
but the problem persists.

Moreover, when I cut sat reception for a long period (say 5-10 minutes),
mplayer hangs and the streaming audio
does not restores itself when I restart mplayer having reconnected the sat
reception beforehand.

The reason I write to this forum and not to a mplayer forum is that it seams
to be a underlying problem since
I have to unload b2c2 drivers and reload them in order for mplayer to start
working again.
Also the buffering could be in the linuxtv drivers.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Evan Stergiou
FILEAS