Re: DiB0700 device support

On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 00:28 +0200, Jonas Anden wrote:
> If the sample below is what your "remote control errors" in syslog is,
> the attached patch gets rid of it.
>
> ---
> Aug  1 13:44:26 ragnyr kernel: dib0700: Unknown remote controller
> key : 1E 2A
> Aug  1 13:44:57 ragnyr last message repeated 206 times
> Aug  1 13:45:58 ragnyr last message repeated 406 times
> Aug  1 13:46:59 ragnyr last message repeated 407 times
> Aug  1 13:48:00 ragnyr last message repeated 406 times
> Aug  1 13:49:01 ragnyr last message repeated 406 times
> Aug  1 13:50:02 ragnyr last message repeated 407 times
> ---
>
> When an unknown key code is received, it is not eaten and the module
> keeps yelling about it using printk()s. A bunch of times per second.
> Until the next valid key code is received. And this happens as soon as
> use any unsupported device (like power on/off my surround system). The
> Nova-T IR receiver gets the IR code by accident and as a result the
> module starts screaming.
>
> I'm not sure but this screaming possibly killed (rebooted) my box as
> well. I applied the new code, tested it for a few hours, and then went
> to bed last night. When I woke up the box had rebooted (no mentions of
> why in syslog, though). After applying the attached patch, my system
> has
> been stable (about a 10 hours by now).

I've tried this patch. Thanks Jonas.

It didn't apply (Hunk failed) on a current tree, but it is simple enough
to do by hand.

It seems to calm down the messages, indeed.

Is it good in the grand scheme? I am not able to judge.

Is it good in the long term? Let's see.

At least, it didn't break anything basic and obvious right away.

Nico