Re: New tuning file for Astra 28.2E

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, 25. Juli 2007 13:46 schrieb Marvin Hankley:
> Hi!
>
> > > So, I made the complete list. I
> > > know scan is capable of detecting other transponders from a smaller
> > > number but do we lose anything from having a more complete list than
> > > is strictly necessary?
> >
> > The problem arises when some of them become invalid because you get
> > timeouts then. It's also a bit more difficult to maintain them (but
> > that's the case anyway ;) - hmm, will see and think a bit about this ...
> > the main issue remains: where to get an authoritative source of
> > information?
>
> Right, that is a problem, so I guess there must be some balance
> between receiving timeouts on one hand and not receiving the full list
> of channels on the other hand. Personally, I'd be slightly inclined
> towards enabling users to get the full list of channels. I'd think
> re-scanning is not something people are going to do too often, so
> perhaps if it might potentially take a little longer, that could be a
> price worth paying, in order to get the full list of channels?
>
> Another potential good use for a complete list is when searching for
> feeds. These transponders tend to be only used occasionally and I
> doubt they will appear in NITs. So, I suspect that the only way of
> detecting these channels will be to manually scan the transponder
> list.
>
> Given all that, these are just text files in some obscure corner of
> the filesystem. My full list containing all the transponders from the
> four satellites at 28.2E was only 4 Kb, so perhaps it might be
> feasible to ship _two_ channel lists, where available? A minimal
> starter file and, where available, a more complete list?
>
> I'm not aware of any authoritative source of information. What I used
> to produce my list was a combination of two internet sites,
> http://www.lyngsat.com/ and http://en.kingofsat.net/ (another good one
> is http://www.satcodx.com/ ), and then verifying those against the
> satellite itself.
>
> Cheers,
> Marv

Right, so I'll apply your file (as there is no better option I can think of).
Hmm, maybe a small tool that helps people to check whether their scan file is
still ok or to actually produce a valid&correct scan file (from another scan
file or whatever) would be feasible - let's see ... (this should simplify
users to deal with that stuff so that more involvement is possible in cases
where no authoritative source of information exists).

Thanks,

Christoph