Re: Repeated assignment of DVB frontend numbers with multiple DVB tuner cards

subscriptions wrote:
> I have a Gentoo box running 2.6.21-gentoo-r4 kernel with three DVB cards
> (four tuners) in it.
>
> A DigitalNow TinyUSB2 USB-based one [Twinhan VP7045/46 USB DVB-T]
> A DiVCO dual tuner (1 x PCI and  1 x USB) [DViCO FusionHDTV DVB-T Dual USB]
> A Nebula PCI tuner [Nebula Electronics DigiTV]
>
> When the modules load, the following occurs:
>
> ----
> # dmesg | grep front
> DVB: registering frontend 0 (Zarlink ZL10353 DVB-T)...
> DVB: registering frontend 1 (Twinhan VP7045/46 USB DVB-T)...
> DVB: registering frontend 0 (NxtWave NXT6000 DVB-T)...
> DVB: registering frontend 2 (Zarlink ZL10353 DVB-T)...
> ----
> You will notice that the NEbula frontend (NXT6000) overwrites the
> frontend number for one of the DiVCO frontends.
>
> I see two ways around this:
>
> - Forcing the frontends to load in a particular slot number.
> - Forcing the nxt6000 to load after all the other frontends have loaded.
>
> I'm not sure how to do the first option, and I've tried using the
> blacklist file, as well as renaming the nxt6000 module so it can't load
> until manually renamed and the module loaded.
>
> Can anyone suggest any methods for resolving this?
>
> Making the nxt6000 module not load automatically would be the easiest,
> but neither the blacklist method not renaming the file seems to work.
>
> Are there hidden options available when loading the modules??
>
> Note: At one stage I had all frontends loading correctly but had to
> reload Linux on the HTPC and now have this issue.
>
> dmesg and lsmod output posted below:

<snip>

Under the lasted udev on gentoo(and maybe other distros), modules listed
in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-n.m are automatically blacklisted so
udev doesn't screw up load order.  Simply updating to this should fix
it.  I'm not sure whether this is in stable yet, however.

Pat Erley