Re: removal em28xx from linuxtv.org

CityK wrote:
> Oliver Endriss wrote:
>> timecop wrote:
>>
>>> Hey guys, stop beating dead horses and finding scapegoats.
>>> Whatever excuses you're going to find post-fact isn't going to change
>>> the fact that HE now has working code with functionality better than
>>> the broken crap currently in linux-dvb, and YOU don't. Users (what
>>> little of them Linux still has) usually want stuff that WORKS, and
>>> they don't give two shits about HOW it works underneath. So when you
>>> stop accepting working solutions because of some bullshit
>>> political/etc reason, everyone loses.
>>>
>> Exactly! People need working drivers! And they don't want that drivers,
>> which are in in the kernel for a long time, will be broken in the next
>> kernel release. That's the reason why I nack'd this patch bomb.
>> No other reason!
>>
>> End of discussion.
>>
>> Oliver
>>

> Hi Oliver,
>
> Just in case you're not already aware, timecop/dongs/gnaa is a
> "professional" troll. Unfortunately, he's latched onto the project --
> he's building some ISDN usb devices and stealing code for them. Also
> unfortunately, it seems, or would appear, that he and Marcus have become
> kind of chummy (as evidenced on the irc channel on some occasions) --
> Marcus is likely just being used for the sole purpose of obtaining
> information (at least, that would be my guess).

I too have noticed this, Other than that, stealing code is not something
great, as it can cause the copyright holders to come after the same. It
holds good for GPL'd code too.

For example, if a vendor is having copyright's in GPL'd code the vendor
can easily go after the violator, for violation of GPL. The problems
that a freelancer faces in terms of going for a case against someone is
very high, but the same for a company which can afford to have their own
lawyers -- is a piece of cake.

In such cases, vendors prefer to request for their copyright (for
providing support for their devices and or providing information under
NDA) to be added into a driver which is made OSS/GPL, such that they too
have a right on their product's driver sources.

I didn't want to say this, but before somebody ran into huge problems, i
thought i should mention this sometime.