Re: removal em28xx from linuxtv.org

Am Donnerstag, den 28.06.2007, 23:28 +0200 schrieb Markus Rechberger:
> On 6/28/07, Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi Sascha,
> >
> > > Can someone please summarize these flamewars and especially the remaining
> > > problems?
> >
> > Please, allow me to give my personal view about this.
> >
> > Markus tried hardly to force me to commit his big patch as-is, even with
> > the risk of eventually breaking other other dvb drivers (In fact, it
> > broke stv0297, as reported by Oliver).
> >

> Mauro spare your in facts, and read the complete thread. Every change
> might introduce bugs and this one got probably fixed already directly
> afterwards.
>
> > Due to the high risk of applying a 9000-line patch (his first trial) or
> > even a 900-line patch (his last trial) that were changing the DVB core
> > subsystem, I refused to commit his patch without the acks from the other
> > dvb driver maintainers, since they would need to test the changes.
> >

> I spent some more time on exporting the patches and noone tested it
> just as I expected it .. so it's a silent nack for no reason. Anyway
> you directly broke the patch which applied by delaying it and applying
> Michael's patch.
>
> > Markus then re-addressed the issue speaking in the behalf of Empiatech.
> >
> > In general, it is a good idea to have the manufacturer supporting their
> > drivers. However, it won't make any sense to allow Empiatech to touch on
> > low-level drivers for hardware not developed by them. The original
> > patches were touching on every DVB driver, even on some Empiatech
> > competitors drivers.
> >

> And it added support for several cx88 and saa7134 based devices. The
> base change was required to get the Empia drivers in, the rest was
> optional.
> There was a patch from another company which added full xc3028 support
> for their saa7134 drivers to the repository on mcentral.de and by
> doing what you did you now force me to rework what that company did.
> The whole issue is a bigger than you imagine.
>
> > After some discussion with me and other core maintainers, Markus decided
> > to re-base the driver in order to not touch the other maintained
> > drivers.
> >

> Well it's solved now, whatever driver will come up in future from my
> side I will not submit it to the linuxtv project due the experience I
> made during the last 1 1/2 years.

Markus,

kick me!

But you spare some facts too.

You finally had a 24hour ultimatum to get your stuff in.

Yes, i said, if there is not at least a pilgrim way offered to you,
fork out if necessary.

But there was one then, you did not even reply.

But offered to take it all over, analog and digital. Not that I doubt
you can do. , but it was not well suited at this moment.

Hermann