Re: removal em28xx from linuxtv.org

Hi Sascha,

> Can someone please summarize these flamewars and especially the remaining
> problems?

Please, allow me to give my personal view about this.

Markus tried hardly to force me to commit his big patch as-is, even with
the risk of eventually breaking other other dvb drivers (In fact, it
broke stv0297, as reported by Oliver).

Due to the high risk of applying a 9000-line patch (his first trial) or
even a 900-line patch (his last trial) that were changing the DVB core
subsystem, I refused to commit his patch without the acks from the other
dvb driver maintainers, since they would need to test the changes.

Markus then re-addressed the issue speaking in the behalf of Empiatech.

In general, it is a good idea to have the manufacturer supporting their
drivers. However, it won't make any sense to allow Empiatech to touch on
low-level drivers for hardware not developed by them. The original
patches were touching on every DVB driver, even on some Empiatech
competitors drivers.

After some discussion with me and other core maintainers, Markus decided
to re-base the driver in order to not touch the other maintained
drivers.

I don't have any news since them.

--
Cheers,