Re: Fwd: [Em28xx] HVR-950 + QAM

On 5/29/07, Michael Krufky <mkrufky@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Markus Rechberger wrote:
> > I'm adding Michael, maybe he has some ideas about it.
> >> The reason why i asked, is that their other HVR product, the HVR-1600
> >> (different chipset I think), also said "QAM currently not supported",
> >> but then they released a beta driver that does. So I am wondering if
> >> they are able to update something in the microcode/firmware that will
> >> give it this capability.
> >
> > The other thing is that the 'dmesg' output seems to indicate that the
> > tuner and "frontend" chip has this capability (please correct me if I
> > am wrong):
> Markus & Matthew,
>
> (cc added to linux-dvb, in case somebody else has the same question.)
>
> I am missing the original part of the email containing the question, but
> I can only assume that the question is, "Can the HVR950 be used to pick
> up QAM?"

the discussion is only about that.

> The answer is, no.  Unfortunately, the Xceive XC3028 silicon tuner is
> unable to receive QAM256 digital streams.

QAM64 is also used by some cableproviders (eg. in Germany), so seems
like it should be possible to get a part of it supported, though we
still lack the firmware for this mode. Also the xceive Product spec
says "Supports all digital TV standards:
ATSC, DVB-T, ISDB-T, DMB-T, DVB-C"

Markus

--
Markus Rechberger