Re: Re: [RFC/PATCHES] xc3028 hybrid tuner, em28xx/em2880-dvb, saa7134, cx88

Michael Krufky schrieb:
> The only thing that these emails do is cause those people who
> actually are interested in developmental discussions to lose interest
> in reading the mailing lists.

Fully agreeing. Just to add my 2cent: There are not only developers on this list, actively discussing technical problems. There may be also a lot of people - like myself - who receive this list for keeping track development of some devices and / or changes in general.

First of all let me say, that I deeply appreciate anyone's contribution and I'm not the person - as I'm only the user of your work - who will ever judge on technical problems etc.

For what I've seen, this kind of email-ping-pong, has nothing to do with taking up a certain position and in the end is couterproductive.

It's only the utmost childish behavior, I've seen so far in a mailing list - "Oh Joe has taken away my toy" - "No John did." ... those childs then go to daddy to complain (or in this case to Linus).

Many emails - especially yours Uwe - go far away from being normal email discussions. There is certainly a difference between an argument one has in person, face to face and a discussion via email.

There are people who are more easily offended than others. Maybe it would just help to

a) THINK, WRITE IT DOWN, LET IT REST for a while (24hrs),
   READ it AGAIN, THINK AGAIN and THEN send it out
b) reduce mails to factual things and technical discussion

It is - in my view - also not excusable that there are mails forwarded (in replies) to the list, that have obviously been sent in 'private' discussion!

If this were a company's mailing list, certainly there would be a 'superior person' who would take consequences and some people would get fired - REGARDLESS of who was right and who was wrong.

In the real world (workspace) you simly have to comply to certain common rules and you HAVE TO work with people. Teasing people or trying to just making friends on the one side and enemies on the other won't help at all. One time Uwe, Mauro is your enemy and now he your friend again, well maybe next week a unpopular decision makes him your enemy again, Uwe?

If you have a point to make, please do this in a rational manner.

If someone in charge of certain things on this list makes a decision, accept it or give rational and substantiated reasons why you don't accept it or want it changed. And if you've done so, I believe it will reached the eyes and minds of the people concerned. But if you just keep on picking on people and repeating things over and over again nobody will listen (any more, because it just gets boring and annoying).

Quote: "That cannot be done in a friendly way in all situations, as humans are humans, and such not perfect at all."

That is certainly true, nobody is perfect. And certain things may need unfriendly methods - but this does not justify personal insults in either direction. Maybe an unfriendly solution would be forking out parts of the project or offering "your" solution on your own server - whatever. You are free to do so and I believe nobody would delete a hint on the wiki to such a solution, others could try it and if its accepted by a certain userbase it would - over time - find its way in.

An old saying goes "The cleverer give in", maybe some just should remember that. It does not mean, that you should give up. If anyone thinks he/she has found a problem, present a solution and give people time to test it and think about. Pressing it forward won't help.

Quote: "Who wants changes first must state what the truth is."

Only half true. It seems to be common habit - and often found in Germany - to loudly state the (assumed) truth. Good thing, well done. Does it help? Nooo. Find a solution, rethink this solution and present it in a way people can understand it and judge it's value. Often enough you will then find for yourself, that it's not a good solution, ot it does need more explanation etc.

If you are confident in your solution and/or in the points you have to make, you should not have to bloodcurdling scream out loudly. Another German saying goes "Wer schreit hat unrecht" (Who screams is wrong).

I also don't understand why people can/may run mentally amok on the internet. People may forget sometime in the future, but not the internet. All this crazy stuff will be there for a long time, possibly forever. Everone can read it .... and maybe time will come when you seek a job or just have to work/deal with people, who then type in your name and it all will fall back on you - and in this case nobody is interested in who started all this and what you will have to say about it.

At least I am not at all interested in figuring it out for this case .... and I don't think there are many whou would or actually even could!

Best regards, Tobias